6 Weeks Postpartum and Still Nursing, Scheduling a TT. What Are You're Thoughts?

Body Contouring After Pregnancy

+2

I have a couple of thoughts:

You should make sure that you are completely done with your family plans

You should be at a stable weight

You should wait at least 3-6 months after your surgery to perform any body contouring

Dr. ES

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

+1

Although there are ways to work around breast feeding while having surgery, I think it would be best to wait about six months to do your surgery. Your body is still recovering from pregnancy and six weeks is too early.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

+1

It is highly recommended to wait at least 6 month postpartum before considering plastic surgery. The body changes in many ways after pregnancy. Also, it is very important that you aren't nursing as the medications and anesthesia can be transmitted through breast milk.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

6 Weeks Postpartum and Still Nursing, Scheduling a TT

+1

I would not want to do that surgery on a patient within the first 6 months after delivery because there are too many changes too the skin hapening during that period, not to mention weight changes and improvement in muscle tone.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck,

+1

We do not do post pregnancy corrective surgery until 9 to 12 months after delivery.  It takes that long to get over this pregnancy. Dr Straiano is right. Wait!

Ralph W. Bashioum, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck surgery

+1

Hi there and thank you for your question

Firstly - congratulations on the birth of your child. This is great news and your first priority is obviously enjoying being a mother. Perhaps when you feel ready - exercising and trying to get back into shape is a really good idea before contemplating any surgery. If your tummy is still an issue then please do consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Personally I would recommend you wait at least 6 months after breast feeding as you will continue to notice beneficial changes over time. good luck

Paul Banwell

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

6 months is generally a good rule of thumb

+1

Your body needs about six months to a year to recover from a pregnancy.  It takes about that length of time for your uterus to shrink down and your skin to recoil so it's best to wait until then to get your tummy tuck :)

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

When can I have a tummy tuck following childbirth?

+1

Dear Drunklove, I recommend that you wait for at least 6 months and preferably a year following childbirth before having your tummy tuck for several reasons.  Firstly, you have a 6 week old child to look after - it will be better to wait until he or she is a bit more mobile and preferably walking before having the surgery.  Secondly, your weight will have fluctuated and your tissues will have stretched to have the child and you need to allow them to recoil and settle as much as possible before having body contouring surgery.  Thirdly, your blood is more prone to clotting following childbirth and you need to let things settle down as there is a risk of clots in the legs and lungs after this surgery and so you need to minimise these risks.  Finally, you need to be sure that you do not want to have more children as this would affect your result and sometimes it takes a while to make a balanced decision about this!  Good luck, there is no reason that you can't start planning and researching now.  Jonathan Staiano

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon