6 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck, MR and Implants, when and What Type of Core Exercises Should I Be Doing?

I am an active Mom of 5 (spin, running, interval training, step, etc.) I started back at the gym at week 5 doing low impact step class, stair master, interval training) but am concerned about when I can start doing bench presses, planks and mountain climbers. Is there a recommended amount of time to wait before starting any core exercises? How long should I wait to start bench presses and all other exercises laying on my back or with my back supported on the bench?

Exercise resumption after Tummy Tuck

+1
After 6 weeks if there were no complications it should be fine to resume core exercises starting out slow and progressing especially if there is no discomfort. Start out with low resistance/weights and high reps as tolerated then advance progressively.

Mommy Makeover

+1

Remain in low-impact exercise until at least 6-8 weeks.  Allow healing to complete, and not risk injury before healing has had a time to finish.  Start with low weight, then gradually move up in weight.  You will know when is the right time.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Exercising after Mommy Makeover

+1

I would ask you to let your plastic surgeon know about your activity and what you would like to do and then follow his/her advice. I recommend to my patients to take it easy after tummy tuck surgery for a couple of months (you don't want to cause complications by doing things too soon) and I don't recommend chest exercises for at least 3 months (sometimes longer depending on how the patient is healing).

Abdominal exercises after mommy makeover surgery

+1

There are no controlled studies to address your question scientifically, so expect different answers!

My regimen is based on common sense for a lack of a better term.  It takes approximately three months for your body to form a capsule around a breast implant,  Therefore, I ask my patients to avoid any chest (pectoralis)  exercises for the first three months (to reduce muscle spasm which may push the implant up).

I also recommend avoiding any abdominal or core exercises for six months, since the sutures placed to tighten the abdominal muscle take that long to scar adequately and reduce the risk of break-down.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Resumption of work-out regimen after abdominal and breast surgery

+1

It is great that you have already resumed some of your workout regimen. Because your plastic surgeon was the one who operated on you, you should ask him/her exactly what you can and cannot do at this point in time as well as a time frame for resuming the remainder of your regimen.

There are many different recommendations among plastic surgeons as to limitations of activities and times after this type of combination surgery as there is not just one "correct" answer.  Furthermore, these can even vary among different groups of patients of the same physician. Generally, my patients can resume all activities by 8 weeks including weight training and sit-ups. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast implants and tummy tuck post op exercising

+1

It is commendable that you want to quickly resume your full exercise program.  This should have been a discussion with your surgeon before surgery.  When I put implants under the muscle, I generally restrict women from doing bench presses or any exercises which cause very forceful contractions of the chest muscles (the pectoralis muscles), because on occasion they can push the implants downwards causing "bottoming out" where there is greater distance and ballooning out of the skin between the crease and the nipple. This is more risky with the larger implants over 350 cc, but can happen with smaller implants with any strenous exercise using the arms. So, please check with your surgeon if he or she feels that could happen in your case.

Usually by 5-6  weeks, other exercises would be OK, but again, you should check with your surgeon because there may be specific differences in your procedure, such as repairs to your fascia, hernias, and so on which might require additional healing time.

Joseph Rabson, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon