2 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck and Increased Swelling, Is this Normal When Taking off Compression Garment?

I had a full TT a little over 2 weeks ago and was taken out of the compression garment 3 days ago. Since then I have had increased swelling throughout my stomach. I also have some increased pain. Is this something that normally happens when the compression garment comes off or should I be worried?

Increased swelling of the abdominal wall a two weeks after a tummy tuck

+2

It is quite common to have some increased swelling several weeks after a tummy tuck and this may be further exacerbated by discontinuing wearing the binder and with greater activity levels. Some sporadic discomfort and isolated pains are also common. What you need to be sure of is that the swelling is related to intrinsic swelling of the tissues (skin and fat) and not as a result of fluid accumulation on the abdominal wall.

Make sure that your plastic surgeon is aware of the situation as you may need to be examined to determine the exact etiology of this swelling. 

Swelling can get worse without garment

+1
This is common. If you feel more comfortable with the compression garment, you can put it back on. However, tell your surgeon about the pain, just in case it needs to be checked out.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after removing compression garment

+1
It is common for swelling to become very apparent once you've removed your compression garment. This swelling will subside gradually over the months following surgery. You can always start wearing your compression garment again but talk to your surgeon for their advice. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Every plastic surgeon manages their patients a little differently after surgery.  Because it takes roughly 4-6 weeks for all the swelling to resolve after a tummy tuck, I generally have my patients wear their abdominal binders for up to six weeks.  If you've noticed a dramatic change in the appearance of your abdomen since removing the garment, you may be dealing with residual swelling or you may have developed a fluid collection called a seroma.  Seromas are somewhat common and can sometimes require aspiration of the fluid in the office.  It's probably best for you discuss any changes you've noticed with your plastic surgeon.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 2 Weeks after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is common to have swelling after a tummy tuck. At this point you should have followed up with your surgeon. If it is getting worse, give your surgeon a call.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Post tummy tuck swelling

+1

It is common for swelling in the early post op period after tummy tuck.  Most of it resolves at 6 weeks but a little will persist until 6 months post op.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Increased swelling two weeks post TT after removing Compression Garment

+1

It is normal that you have increased swelling  after  removing your compression garment this soon after surgery.

If you feel more comfortable in the garment, speak to your surgeon and ask permission to wear the garment a little longer for support.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:

1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.