7 Weeks Post Septorhinoplasty. My Nose is Still Painful and Sore? (photo)

My nose still hurts and makes me feel really miserable. I was told that by 6 weeks I would feel back to normal. An incision inside my nostril has opened where I was told an incision was made to access my septum and there is a gap which has widened over a few weeks. I have finished 2 courses of antibiotics and Bactroban ointment 2 weeks ago but it still feels very sore and irritated. I like the cosmetic results but to be honest I'd rather give birth again than go through this again.

Post op pain

+2

Sounds like you have an infection that is not responding to the antibiotics.  You may have an infected suture or graft.  Discuss with your surgeon your situation and make sure that cultures are done to direct appropriate antibiotics.  You may also benefit from an evaluation by an infectious disease specialist.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Not a typical post operative situation

+2
7 weeks post Septorhinoplasty this is very unusual and most patients feel fine within days after septorhinoplasty. Per your comments and the high dose of antibiotics you have been on it is apparent you developed some type of infection. I would discuss with your surgeon the possibility of a foreign body i.e. Suture material. In my thirty years of practice I have never had a nasal infection. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and do a close follow up with multiple recheck appointments to make sure you are on the proper road of recovery. Childbirth should never have to be compared to rhinoplasty. I have seen my wife go through both and childbirth should win hands down! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD