I am 3 weeks post Rhinoplasty, why can't I see a 'supratip depression'? could swelling still be hiding it?

Hello, I am nearly 3 weeks post Rhinoplasty. My surgeon said he would remove the bump on the bridge of my nose and give me a 'supratip depression' to make it look more feminine. However, at the moment my nose just looks triangular and still quite big from the side as well as slightly convex. Also, I had dissolvable stitches inside my nostrils, does this mean he may have worked on the tip also? I can't tell by just looking yet...

The Tip needs Time....

+2
I always tell my patients after a rhinoplasty, just think of gravity...all the "fluid" and swelling moves from the top to the bottom and the bottom is the last to go. The supratip is near the bottom, maby a bit less than 1/2 way down and takes time to go away.  I think if you ask most rhinoplasty surgeons what the most common concern they hear about in the first month, most will say something related to swelling in the tip. 

Many people worry about this after their surgery and they key is to be patient. In the rhinoplasty world, 3 weeks is just the beginning. Give it time, but if you are really worried please speak to your surgeon. 

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Supratip break or depression

+2
The supratip break or depression helps define the tip on the profile view.  It is desirable in most women and some men.  The supratip area tends to stay swollen the longest, so the supratip break may not yet be visible three weeks after surgery.

William D. Losquadro, MD
Westchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 week swelling post-rhinoplasty and lack of supratip depression

+2
Hello Spacegirl76,

It is not uncommon to have fullness in this area as 3 weeks is actually on the early side of the year-long healing process. Occasionally, this area will require periodic injections of steroids to decrease the swelling. Ask your surgeon about your concerns and whether a steroid injection is appropriate for you.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon