4 Weeks Post Revision, is It Too Soon to Diagnose Deformities? (photo)

I inquire about results 4 wks post op. I underwent revision to remove pollypeak, but it APPEARS have developed an inverted V and pollypeak again. Is this true? Some days it's more noticeable than others, can this be due to swelling or is a detachment of cartilage permanent? I am taping nightly. Can this cause breathing issues? I deeply fear a 3rd revision. Am I a good candidate if the deformities are permanent or is it unsafe, I am latin and have thick skin as well. How soon if so? Thank you.

4 Weeks Post Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

The fact that you see daily variations in the appearance of your nose supports the recommendation that you must wait for the swelling to resolve. At times it does appear that you have an inverted V deformity and a persistent pollybeak but this may be temporary. Another operation, if necessary, will be safe if the surgery is done by an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Most swelling is in the area of the revision

+2

The most swelling is in the area of the revision...the pollybeak. It is early as others have told you. Taping to remove swelling or to change a shape are useless I feel. Wait it out you may be surprised. I am sometimes when I feel I need to do a revision and it turns out to be swelling

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

Certainly at 4 weeks you will have alot of swelling. Give it time to heal the swelling will improve, and maybe that area of concern will be better.

Patience is very important following revision rhinoplasty

+2

Patience is very important following revision rhinoplasty.  Share your concerns with your surgeon.  It is very early in the healing process.  Be patient.  Your nose will continue to change over the coming months.  If you are still concerned after 6 months, seek a second opionion.   Make appointments for consultations with multiple surgeons. Look at lots of before and after photos. Board certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, The American Board of Otolaryngology or The American Board of Plastic Surgery is preferred. Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have too much swelling at 4 weeks to tell the outcome

+2

4 weeks is too soon to have a clear idea of what the nose will look like long-term.  The swelling over your lower bridge (where the polybeak was) will most likely go down over the next several months. I would advised that you seek the opinion of your surgeon first and foremost.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can deformities be identified 4 weeks after revision rhinoplasty?

+1

Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing following surgery. 4 weeks after your procedure is really too soon for you to come to any conclusions.  Based on your photos, you may have an inverted V deformity or it could be uneven swelling from the location of the cast.  A better side profile shot would be necessary to determine whether or not you have a pollybeak deformity.  When your swelling goes down and it can be determined that these issues are present, a revision would be necessary to correct them.  It is best to wait around one year before having any revision work performed. This will allow the majority of the swelling to disappear, and the surgeon can perform his or her best work. With thick skin, you may have the following issues:

1) You may not be able to achieve the level of definition you desire
2) Your post-operative swelling may linger for a longer period of time. 

I would recommend following up with your surgeon after about 6 months. If you are not satisfied after that point, I would recommend seeking a second opinion. I hope this helps and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon