4 Weeks Post Op BA and Concerned; They Are Uneven and Rippling?

I had 450 high profile silicone implants above the muscle to avoid a lift. My left side has dropped but the right is still higher than I would like. I am sure i just need more time but I am worried about them not looking even. I have noticed the last few days rippling has occured on the left side now. I am really stressing about how this will turn out. I could have done a lift but did not want the scars that leaves. Now I am worried this will look worse!! Help!

Avoiding The Lift In Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

When attempting to avoid the scars from a lift in one who really needs it, be aware there are tradeoffs. There is no alternative solution to the management of the sagging breast with an implant that does not have its own set of problems. Perceived high implant position due to breast tissue falling off of the front of the implant and being able to feel implant rippling are the two most common problems seen after breast augmentation done alone in the sagging breast. You need to give the result a full six months before deciding whether additional efforts, such as a lift or implant repositioning, will be needed.

Concerns about Results of Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the problems/concerns you have. Unfortunately, I think you may be experiencing some of the issues surrounding sub glandular breast augmentation done in order to “avoid a breast lift”. At this point, there's not much to do;  patients will be required for several months before you see the final results of surgery. At that point, you may want to visit with a few well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who will be able to advise you  after direct examination.

ROM exercises and a bandeau may help your high breast implant

+1

Hi Mandy,  Thanks for the question.  It s unfortunate that you chose a large implant in the submammry plane because you were ptotic.  It sound from your description that you had thin breasts that were empty and droopy.  A mastopexy combined with a submusular implant may have provided a great surgical correction with minimal negative sequelae.  I know that everyone worries about the scars.  Done properly, the scars can be placed just around the areola or around the areola with a short vertical scar extending toward the fold under the breast.  With time, the scars are very hard to detect.  In your situation, there are ways to optomize your result.  Talk to your surgeon about range of motion exercises for your implants.  If they are round high profile implants this can be done.  It should be done 8 times a day for the next year.  It will help drop your high implant and soften the early tightening you are experiencing on the left side (the rippling is likely related to a slightly tight pocket).  In addition, on the right side, wear your shoulder strap on the bra more loosely - it will allow the implant to fall.  Also ask your surgeon about a bandeau.  This will push the right implant down.  There are "tricks" to push the right down and not effect the left side.  It is early.  I am sure things will work out.  Best of luck.

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Ripples after Breast Augmentation

+1

I am sorry you are having such problems.  The root of all your problems is in the first sentence of your post: 'I had 450 high profile silicone implants above the muscle to avoid a lift.'  I've made it a mission in my realself.com life to educate women about the realities of breast surgery, debunk misconceptions, and clearify difficult issues, however, people like yourself still have surgery that was not right for them.

There is no replacing a lift if you need one.  The concept that placing the implant above the muscle or using a big or hgih profile implant is somehow going to lift your breast and nipple into a pleasing position is indulging in fantasy, and unfortunately many plastic surgeons will have you do just that to get your business.  I always tell patients on this site and in my office who are contemplating surgery and need a lift but are afraid of scaring, that they shouldn't get any surgery at all until they are ready for the scars, no matter how inconspicuous they may be.

High profile implants are in voque right now, which makes no sense.  They are more distructive in the short and long run, and as I said, they don't lift the breast.  Placing implants over the muscle exposes the entire implant to thinner more compliant tissues that become stretched and thinned rapidly, leading to visibility of the implant and rippling, and higher rates of capsular contracture.  These phenomena are accentuated with high profile and/or larger implants.

You should have a second opinion with a surgeon that is has an excellent reputation in all areas of breast surgery, not just augmentation.  This surgeon would of course be certified by the ABPS and a member of the ASAPS.  You will need this face to face conversation and examination so that he can guide you from here toward a good result.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Concerns

+1

Thank you for your questions.  A photo would have been helpful, but there are a few things that may help you.  You are still early in the post-op healing phase so the height asymmetry may resolve.  Your surgeon may teach you breast massages to try to even them out.  As far as the rippling goes, it's hard to say without seeing you, but unfortunately, any implant can ripple.  The high profile ones have the lowest chance of rippling, but they aren't perfect.  Express your concerns to your surgeon and see what he says.  If you aren't satisfied, then seek another surgeon and be sure they are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon