7 Weeks Post Op, Could I Have Nasal Valve Collapse? (photo)

I underwent rhinoplasty 7 weeks ago, having a closed procedure performed to have a hump removed from my bridge. After the procedure I realized that my left nostril sat 1mm higher then the left, but was deemed to be present prior to surgery. Am now noticing that with moderate nasal inhalation, my right nostril collapses. Have been feeling quite congested since surgery. At 5 week post-op, surgeon brushed off the possibility of collapse, have since booked an apt with an ENT for a second opinion.

Nasal Valve collapse

+2

Agree with Dr Lamperti. It is also possible that this was present before surgery, but not diagnosed. You may need a batten graft, or a lateral strut graft to fix this problem, once the swelling has stabilized.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Your posted photos show right external valve collapse with respiration. You may have had this before surgery with worsening of the collapse after surgical trimming of the upper edge of the tip cartilage so that it is now noticeable. The only way to fix it though is another operation with the placement of cartilage grafts to support - keep the external valve open. If you go to another surgeon be sure to bring photos and copies of your operative reports.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

You would need a graft for support

+1

Your pictures show loss of the support for the lateral crus and causing external valve colapse. You will need revision and cartilage graft. You will need open procedure to be able to visualize the defect and repair the support.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Right nostril collapse after rhinoplasty

+1

Your photo does show a noticeable amount of right nostril collapse. This can be related to weakening of the tip from surgery but if you're having signifcant nasal obstruction on the left this could also be at play. It may be best to see if the symptoms resolve once the post-surgical congestion improves. Getting your nose evaluated to make sure nothing else is going on is certainly reasonable as well.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD