I'm 9 weeks post-op. I had upper, lower blepharoplasty and cheek lift. Will everything be alright in time?

I have a droop in one eye due to scar tissue and it won't close. I have numbing and burning feeling in my cheeks on both sides. Both of my eyes are very irritated as well! The skin on upper lids feel so tight. My incisions are still very sore! I'm using refresh drops, ointment at night. I'm also getting steroid injections to soften scar tissue. Is the fluid in the corner of my eye chemosis or something else? Will all my problems resolve? This has been overwhelming! Thank you!

This was a lot of surgery and it sounds like you have your issues.

+2

Please consider posting photos so we have a better idea of what is going on.  That will help us address your concerns.  While you have healing to do, it sounds like you have motor nerve damage to the lower eyelid that generally does not recover.  Generally it is best to wait 6 to 12 months before having this correct unless there are corneal exposure issues.

Healing after blepharoplasty

+2

Its difficult to assess your issues and give you relevant answers without a physical exam or at least good clinical pictures. I strongly recommend close follow up with your facial plastic surgeon to begin early soft tissue rehab and intervention as necessary to facilitate timely healing.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 Months Post Op Blepharoplasty and Cheek Lift

+2

It sounds as if your signs and symptoms are lasting a little longer than usual but all of these issues may be seen after Blepharoplasty and Cheek Lift surgery.

In general, all of these signs and symptoms get better with time and conservative treatment.

Natural tears, Tobradex (steriod/antibiotic eye drops), and night petroleum eye ointments may all be used post operatively 

Even steriod injections to reduce the malposition of the lower eyelid may be necessary in the appropriate patient.

Consult your plastic surgeon and be patient. He may want you to see an ophthalmologist to evaluate your cornea and sclera.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative eyelid surgery healing

+1

At this point, it would be difficult to say what is going on without actually seeing photographs. Some of the healing may be normal or it could be prolonged healing. I would suggest you discuss your concerns with your treating physician and let them make an assessment for you.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon