I am 9 weeks post op tummy tuck with muscle repair and flank lipo. My uppermost ab muscle still hurts...a lot! is this normal?

I was told I could start working out freely however I still can't sleep on my stomach flat because it hurts so much. I tried doing a sit up and it felt like someone was stabbing me...doing a plank..yeah right! Even just stretching back (a backbend) feels like my abs are going to rip open. When I went for my 6 week post-op checkup my dr said my abs were good. So why am I STILL in so much pain?

Please see your plastic surgeon for pain 9 weeks after tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1
Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to experience pain after muscle repair and abdominoplasty what attempting vigorous physical activity like a sit up.

That said however if you're my patient I would want you to see me for an examination and if he were experiencing pain this far out from abdominoplasty.

Post-Abdominoplasty pain

+1
I have my patients wait a full three months before doing any exercise that directly stresses the abdominal muscles.  Even then, whenever you add an activity back into your exercise regimen I tell patients to take it slowly and "listen to their body".  If you overdo it, your body will let you know with pain or discomfort.  If that happens, just back off and take it slowly.

Matthew L. Romans, MD
Salinas Plastic Surgeon

Time is needed to heal

+1
Hard to say but I bet a few more months are needed before you feel better. You may injure or tear the repair work if you do too much too soon. Go easy!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon