5 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck, I Have a Bulge Right Below my Breast Area, Upper Abdominal Area, Is it a Seroma? (photo)

I had a full tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks. I am very tiny to begin with 4"11 & 100 lbs. This Friday I will be 5 weeks post op. This morning I noticed I have a slight bulge in my upper abdomen. It doesn't hurt, but I'm worried. Will this go away? IF it is a Seroma, can it make me sick? I have my 1 month follow up this weekend, but am anxious to get an answer, as I worry easily.

Possible seroma bulge after an abdominoplasty

+1

If you have a small bulge at 5 weeks after your surgery it is either, a seroma, a hematoma, residual fat or muscle bulge.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to help decide what the problem is and how to correct it. 

Some swelling after a tummy tuck is normal

+1

Thank you for your pictures, but it's hard to tell without actually examining you.  I would see your plastic surgeon sooner rather than later just in case you do have a seroma that needs to be drained.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Bulge after tummy tuck

+1

It's difficult to answer your question with only a photo to go on.  Your surgeon will be able to give you a better answer after examining you.  If you are very anxious, see him/her sooner than your planned time.  While this could be a seroma or hematoma, it more likely represents the upper muscle repair, which in a thin person such as yourself can sometimes be felt.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon