6 Weeks Post Op a TT, Mini Inner Thigh Tuck and Breast Augmentation.Swelling....

Swelling in the lower area occasionally makes me appear larger then when I first had the TT. When the swelling goes down, the skin is not as taught. I can almost grab a handful. Is this how I will be or will I have many changes in the next several months? Just a little concerned about the loose skin.. Still happy.. all-in-all with results... Added to my grateful journal :)

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

It may take up to 6 months for swelling to resolve after abdominoplasty.  No intervention should be done until time has elapsed.  Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Swelling after body contouring

+2

Swelling can take months to resolve completely after surgery, and things like increased (or decreased) activity, salt intake, heat, pressure garments, menstrual cycles and other normal activities can affect your body on a day to day basis.  As long as you are following up with your surgeon and he or she has made sure that you don't have any abnormal fluid collections (blood or serous fluid), try to be patient.   Remember to start or continue with a healthy nutrition and exercise lifestyle so that your results over the next 6-12 months are optimal as your body heals and the surgery sites and scars mature.

Michelle Spring, MD

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

At six weeks post tummy tuck it is not uncommon to have intermittent swelling. Final contours are usually evident after three to four months, although for some patients it can be longer.  Final scar appearance can take up to a year to a year and a half. Be patient!

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Swelling postoperatively

+2

It takes time for the swelling to subside, especially with the amount of work that was performed for you. Be patient, things look okay by the photos you posted. with incisions in the thigh as well as the abdomen and surgery on the breast area, the swelling in all those areas are trying to find a way to escape and it just takes time. Heat from summer also keeps the swelling around longer. I tell my patients that it will take 6-8 months to see there final results. Your surgeon will support you until you see the results you want.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.

+1

Photos show early healing and a good result! Best to be more patient in your recovery. Were you not informed about the time it takes to fully recover?