4 Weeks Post Op Seroma Fluid from Incision with Open Wounds

hi i had breast augmentation in egypt 4 weeks ago, after 10 days i burst my stiches and seroma fluid started, i eventually got closed up 4 days later, iv seen 5 plastic surgeons and cant get any help, iv been to hospital in england and scotland and they are letting the seroma fluis come out my incisions as they wont fully heal with the water, 4 plastic surgeons say leave it as there is no infection from tests, they say it will stop i leak a tablespoon a day from both incisions, im alone, help

Fluid drainage 4 weeks after Breast Augmentation is usually Extrusion and requires removal of implant with later revision

+2

Leakage of fluid from a Breast Implant Incision 4 weeks after Breast Augmentation is a classic sign of Breast Implant Extrusion or loss of implant.

Trying to suture the wound and close the incision risks infection and is not recommended.

Accepted therapy is to remove the implant, allow you to heal and replace the implant at 6 months.

The problem is that with the implant exposed to the outside of the body the risk of serious infection is very high. Cultures at this point are not helpful if they are negative.

Your surgeon should explore your incision to see if the implant is exposed in the depths of the incision and if it is remove it.

In the rare case that this is simply a seroma-at 4 weeks (very unlikely) then the surgeon should be able to see healthy tissue covering the implant, in which case local wound therapy with wet to dry dressings and antibiotics may allow healing.

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentationand leakage

+1

At 4 weeks out from a breast augmentation and fluid draining probalby requires removal of the implant to allow for adequate healing. A foreign body with an open wound and possible subclinical infection will probably not heal. If it does, you will more than likely have intermittent problems with infection and capsular contracture.  Your best solution is probably remove the implant, let it heal and start over in 3-4 months. 

Remove the implant?

+1

I would agree that there is PROBABLY a sub clinical infection that is causing the seroma;  I would say you should consider removal of the implants with capsulectomy and placement of drains.  However, it is difficult to say exactly what is going on without examining you.  I would say see the plastic surgeon in town who has the best reputation and see if he/she had a similar case.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Seroma after breast augmentation

+1

At four weeks post op I would question whether you have an infection that may be the source of your drainage.  See a board certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in breast surgery.   Your implants may require removal if persistent drainage.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

+1

From reading your description I see an undercurrent of the issue of "cheap" out of country surgery and no local surgeon wishes your headache. Have you offered to pay for the extra care needed or even reoperation. My guess is you need removal of the implant and capsule with closure over a drainage system. Cost here in USA about $4,000. Try the approach of offering payment for care. 

Seroma or hematoma treatment after breast augmentation

+1

You are in a very difficult situation as you went out of the country and now have a problem that is not easy to fix. It is understandable that most surgeons there will not touch this. You should try the plastic surgery department at your local university hospital, maybe in Edinborough or Glasgow. They will usually take the more complicated cases.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Fluid from incisions post breast augmentation

+1

it sounds like you are not getting any help where you are. You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to get a good evaluation. if you are still having a significant amount of drainage 4 weeks post breast augmentation, you may have a low grade infection around the implants and they may need to come out. I would get it checked by someone soon.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Drainage from Incisions after Breast Augmentation

+1

Given that you are dealing with a complicated situation after your breast augmentation,  I would suggest that you find the most experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and trust his/her advice after direct examination.  This approach will serve you better than advice you receive online from physicians who cannot examine you in person.