8 Weeks Post-op from Rhinoplasty... Are Vigorous Exercise and Aerials Ok Yet!?

I'm 8 weeks post-op from a rhinoplasty, but up until last week, I could literally feel the bones in my bridge move when i shook my head (I had bones broken as well during procedure). Will any swelling I have from vigorous exercise cause complications (i.e. scar tissue, incorrect healing, permanent swelling, etc.)? ALSO, I'm an aerialist/dancer, so work consists of many jerky movements of my head in the air, but no contact with anything. Is this a potential problem if I start now? Thanks!

Exercise and Activity Post Rhinoplasty

+2

Routinely at 8 weeks the bones should have healed solid and the majority of swelling abated. I would tell you to go about your life as though you never had surgery. However because of your extreme lifestyle, you will be suseptable to episodes of swelling if your head stays dependent for a long period of time (upside down), or in other vigorous gymnastic maneuvers, perhaps for 6 to 9 months.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vigorous exercise after rhinoplasty

+2

At eight weeks you are OK in terms of bone movement provided you don't sustain a hard direct impact. Do not be surprised however if you get new swelling right after exercise at this time. This will gradually subside over the next 6 months or so.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

8 weeks post-op

+2

At eight weeks post-op the bones should be firmly set and no amount of non-contact sport should have any adverse effect.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Vigorous expercise should be safe eight weeks aftger rhinoplasty

+2

After eight weeks your nose should be firmly healed despite the fractures, and should hold up to any form of exercise. Swelling also should not be a problem, even if you are hanging up-side down, though you may experience some nasal congestion for several more weeks. No contact is a must as the nose will heal by a fibrous union in the bone and be more easily fractured than before rhinoplasty.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty

+2
You should really discuss these type of issues with you plastic surgeon. In my practice I usually allow full exercise 6 weeks post operatively.

David L. Abramson, MD

Exercise Ok 2 months after Rhinoplasty

+2

It is for my Rhinoplasty patients but ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon.  Strenuous exercise will create a bit added swelling but you should be out of the danger phase of creating harm to your nose 2 months after a Rhinoplasty.

Exercise after rhinoplasty.

+2

There are 2 main issues that govern when one can return to exercise following rhinoplasty.

• Increased risk of bleeding with exercise.
  • Risk of displacing bone or cartilage.

Bleeding is one of the main early post-operative risks following any rhinoplasty.  Exercise will increase the risk of bleeding either by a) increased cardiovascular stress or b) increased intranasal pressure during the exertion of lifting or bending over.  My recommendations are only very light activities (brisk walk) starting one week following surgery and gradually building up to vigorous exercise at 3 weeks.

Following rhinoplasty during which bones have been reshaped, a period of approximately 6 to 8 weeks is required for complete bone healing to occur.  If the nose receives blunt trauma prior to this time, the nasal bones will be displaced more easily than if they are allowed to completely heal.  When deciding upon what activities one should engage in it is best to consider what the chances are of incurring physical trauma to the nose are and what risk you are willing to take.  In some cases, protective face shields may be an option.

At 2 months following rhinoplasty, the nasal bones should typically be "set' and the fact that you can feel your nasal bones are mobile during vigorous exercise is unusual.  I would visit with your surgeon about this.

Sincerely, Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon