Four Weeks Post Op Open Rhinoplasty, Nose Feels Extremely Dry, Should I Be Worried?

I am almost four weeks post op open rhinoplasty with osteotomies, septoplasty, and turbinate reduction. I am breathing well but my nose feels extremely dry. Should I be worried?

Rhinoplasty - Dry nose after surgery

+1

Thank you for your question, Audrey. Nasal dryness in the weeks following rhinoplasty is common. Absent other symptoms, dryness alone is generally not worrisome. Use of saline nasal spray and/or saline nasal gel can help moisturize your nose which will improve your comfort until the post operative dryness subsides. Good luck.

Rhinoplasty healing time and dry nose

+1

Dear audrey94,

1. The glands in your nose are still adjusting after surgery and it may take a few months for them to come all the way back
  2. In the meantime, use a nasal saline spray to keep things moist
  3. You can even consider a humidifier in the bedroom to help you at nighttime

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Dryness of the airway can last for several months after rhinoplasty.

+1

What you are experiencing is not uncommon. Nasal sprays to add moisture and combat inflammation are often helpful.

Post op dryness

+1

Your nose is healing and the dryness should improve over time.  Use nasal saline sprays and a light coat of vasceline at the nostrils.  That should help the dryness.  A humidifier can also help.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Dryness of the nose after a rhinoplasty

+1

It is not unusual for the nose to feel dry after a rhinoplasty.  It is helpful in this healing period to use a nasal spray such as Ocean and use a small amount of vasoline at the opening of the nostrils to add humidity.  A cold air humidifier at night is also useful.  

Nose feels dry

+1

I foten have patients use saline nasal drops if they feel a bit dry. This can be part of the post-op healing process with the septal and turbinate surgery.

Dry Nose Feeling after Open Septorhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the great question. Assuming that you do not have a fever or any purulent drainage from the nose, it's likely that the dryness you are feeling is just a result of swelling and soft tissue trauma from the surgery.  In my practice, I have patients use small amounts of a nasal saline spray (Ocean Nasal Spray) up to 4 or 5 times a day starting in the second week after surgery.  If dryness persists well after that time, you will need to follow up with your surgeon for further evaluation.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dry nose after surgery

+1

This is common after nasal surgery. I recommend my patients to start using nasal saline irrigations after surgery. Check with your surgeon to see what he recommends.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon