So I'm 4 Weeks Post-op. Is my Nose Strong Enough to Return to Normalcy?

I had a open-rhinoplasty. I had the nasal bones broken and re-set so it looks more narrow and also had the hump removed. also, i had a droopy tip fixed. i feel good. but i'm tempted to pick the inside of my nose because it itches. also, i'm tempted to squeeze blackheads and pop zits on my nose. when can i treat my nose "normally" or will i always have to be careful?

Return to normal after Rhinoplasty

+2

The return to normal activity after rhinoplasty should be taken in steps.

The first week to ten days, you should avoid lifting, bending , stooping, and straining. These activities could cause bleeding.

It takes the nasal bones of a young healthy adult about six weeks to regain their strength. Up to six weeks, you should avoid activities that could result in a bump or trauma to your nose.

After the splint is removed, it is very common to see blocked pores, acne, and blackheads on the nose. A "buff-puff" can be purchased at the drug store. The mild mechanical abrasion will open the pores and improve your skin .

About one week after surgery, irrigating your nose with saline nose drops will keep the inside clean.

I hope this advice helps. Check with your surgeon, he should be able to guide you.

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Gentle touch to nose one month after Rhinoplasty

+2
Dear california5192, Treating your nose normally can include: washing and caring for your skin. Cleaning your nostrils with a qtip Touching the skin as the numbness changes. But, stay away fro Pinching blackheads, pushing on the nose or adding pressure to the bones. Your healing is still early and the longterm result is you And your surgeons priority. The itching sensation can also be a sign of your sensory nerves returning to normal. Best wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Activity after rhinoplasty

+1

I recommend waiting 6 weeks before participating in activities where the nose may be hit.  As far as daily activities such as cleansing and blowing your nose are concerned, you should be able to treat the nose normally after 3 weeks.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal bones heal a little faster than other bones in the body. Four weeks is enough that you can return to most normal activities. The appearance is not however final at four weeks . It takes up to a year before all changes transpire.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Nose Normal 4 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

I tell my patients to be careful and avoid nasal trauma for 6 weeks after rhinoplasty. It is common to have skin irritation and acne-type reactions after surgery. I suggest you see your dermatologist to help you with skin care at this time.

Please treat your new nose gently

+1
I would be very careful with your new nose. I feel that most healing has occurred by 4 weeks, and it is very unlikely that you can hurt anything at this stage. However, I also feel that it is best to be gentle with your nose. If you are having issues with itching and crusting inside the nose, then smear a little Polysporin ointment inside the nostrils twice a day. If you are having issues with your skin, then discuss this with your surgeon, or with a well respected medical spa if your surgeon is not associated with one.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pushing your nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Your really need to address these issues with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  I would not suggest to my patients to manipulate their nose this soon after surgery.  In general in takes 6 to 8 weeks for the new tissue to set and then several months for everything to settle.  Try to hold off on temptation to manipulate your nose too much during this time.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

4 weeks post op rhinoplasty

+1

At four weeks you are on your way to "normalcy" but I would give it some more time to be pushing and prodding the nose.  You really want to wait until the nasal tip softens before pushing too much on it.

+1

Best to ask your chosen rhinoplasty surgeon. Why ask us? We do not know your medical/surgical history or the details of your operation. Be careful not listening to your surgeon and following what an internet docs states. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Treat your nose nicely!

+1

4 weeks after rhinoplasty is considered early after surgery result.  While you should be able to do most normal activity, it is crucial that you don't aggressively probe the nose with a finger or other object  for the fist couple of months, as the stitches are often desolving.  Good skin care should be provided by your doctor or someone your doctor recommends.  At the Few Institute, we make skin care after surgery standard to avoid acne and related hassles.  You doctor should make the final decision for activity. 

Julius W. Few, MD