5 Weeks Post Op of a Mini Tummy Tuck. Why is the Area Beneath My Navel Numb?

why is the area beneath my navel numb and is this permanent? Why is the area above my navel (my entire upper abdomen big as if I never received a TT? my stomach looks no different than before..

+1

The numbness below the navel is normal this close to your surgery and the area of numbness should get smaller over time.  Since the mini tummy tuck only addresses the area below the navel, so no change in the upper abdomen is not a surprise and is expected.  It is too early to tell your final contour at this point, so continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Area Beneath My Navel Numb

+1

A mini-TT severs most of the nerves to the abdominal skin, and numbness is expected. There is usually recovery of sensation over the course of a year. 

I am not sure I understand the second part of your question. If you are asking why the upper part of your abdomen looks no different, it is because a mini-TT only treats the abdomen below the navel.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

5 Weeks Post Op from a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

In my experience, numbness in the central abdomen is normal, expected, and may recover partiallly over several months to over a year.  Complete recovery may not occur.  Mini abdominoplasty, also, typically addresses the adomen from the navel down.  Flatening of the upper abdomen may not be expected.  Although, it is too early to critically address your results, you should discuss these questions in detail with your surgeon at your next visit.

Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Numbness

+1

It is not uncommon to have some numbness which can go away in a few months but can also be permanent. With respect to the results it is too early to evaluate this. You should follow up with your doctor and discuss these concerns.

Numbness after Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

In general, a mini tummy tuck does not involve surgical manipulation above the umbilicus.  Generally, there is removal of skin and adipose tissue removed below the belly button and sometimes muscle plication from the pubic area up to the umbilicus.

The loss of sensation is normal after tummy tuck surgery and may exist for months and even years after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm