4 Weeks Post Op Mastopexy/Small Implants, Issues With the Incision?

I am 4 weeks post op and all is well:) I did postpone my surgery and have stayed a non smoker for the recommended time and haven't started again! Anyway, my questions is as follows: I am massaging my scars 3 times a day and I have alot of irritation from this. No open areas, but very reddened and it's very sore and sort of raw. Is this normal? I'm feeling very uncomfortable with my ps. He did a great job, but is always hurrying me out. I am "spitting" LOTS of stitches too.

Incisions and Stitches

+2

It is difficult to say without a picture.  Suture extrusion ("spitting") can occur.  The reddness of your incisions can be due to several things ( normal healing, small wounding, etc).

Dr. ES

Incision irritation

+2

"Spitting" sutures can cause irritation.  Without and exam it is difficult to say what is causing your issues, but the "spitting" sutures sound like the likely culprit.

I suspect most of the irritation is from your sutures

+2

If you are spitting sutures some or most of the irritation with your incisions is likely do to your suture issue.  This is not uncommon.  Just keep the area clean and have your plastic surgeon keep a close eye on you.  Once the sutures have dissolved the inflammation will go away.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Issues With the Incision

+1

Without photos it is hard to advise. Spitting sutures is not uncommon and until they are all removed or have dissolved this may be an ongoing problem. This will delay the maturation of the scars, but typically they will improve and look as if none of this problem had occurred. All the best.