I Am 6 Weeks Post Op with Loss of Sensation of a Large Portion on Each Breast. When Can I Expect for Sensation to Return?

I am 6 weeks post op breast augmentation with 250 cc cohesive gel textured tear drop implants. I went from a 32 AA to a 32 full C. Since the surgery, I have lost sensation under my nipples on both breasts from about 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock down to the breast fold. Does this happen commonly? When can I expect the sensation to return?

Not much you can do except “wait it out”

+1

Changes in sensation can occur after any type of breast surgery. After breast augmentation, some patients experience diminished sensation and it can take as long as a year to fully return (even longer in some cases). In a small parentage of patients (5% -10%) there may be permanently diminished sensation. Not much you can do except “wait it out”.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Increased or Decreased Sensitivity After Breast Augmentation

+1

Sensitivity in the nipples and breasts can increase or decrease after breast augmentation surgery. Changes in sensitivity are usually temporary and return to normal after swelling dissipates. On rare occasions, sensation can be lost.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

+1

Most likely you will experience gradual return of sensation with the course of the next several months.  Rarely, patients will experience permanent loss of sensation. Best wishes.

Loss of Sensation After Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+1

It is not normal but there are so many reasons why this can happen. One, you can have nerve injury but the area you describe it is so rare. Most likely if you were as small as you describe you have an implant that is now really stretching your tissues. That plus swelling is enough to put strain on nerves and lead to likely temporary numbness. It would not be out of the norm for me to tell a patient to give it at minimum 6 months to allow for some nerve sensation to return. It likely will over time as swelling resolves and your skin stretches and relieves pressure on any nerves. Make sure you communicate with your surgeon. These things take a lot of time and patience on your part. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Temporary anesthesia after breast augmentation not uncommon.

+1

It's almost a 100% certainty that sensibility will return to the anesthetic areas of your breast. This may take several months.

Loss of Sensation of a Large Portion on Each Breast

+1

I wouldn't call this common, but neither is it rare. Sometimes numbness due to swelling is gone promptly--before six weeks. 

Although there is no certainty of full sensory return, the feeling can come back gradually over the course of a year. 

All the best.