I'm almost 2 weeks post op on lipo & chin implant. How long does it take to recover from nerve damage?

I have a lot of numbness that is slowly getting better. The right half of my bottom lip goes down further than the other side. Could there be nerve damage that will recover?? I'm very worried. Will I ever talk, eat and smile like normal again! I look like I have belz palsy

Nerve weakness after liposuction and chin implant

+1

The numbness is likely to resolve a bit slower than the weakness of the lip.  Without a physical exam it's difficult to tell you exactly how things will go and certainly you want to follow up closely with her surgeon.  What I can tell you is that in my experience particularly since I use laser assisted liposuction which is in some ways more aggressive than liposuction alone this is an issue that comes up from time to time and I make a clear to my patients that this sort of lip weakness is a risk.  The longest I've seen it take to resolve was about 6 weeks.  That may not sound like a very long time but for the patient's it can feel like an eternity.  These things tend to resolve so don't be too worried but the resolution of it will be fairly slow.  Follow up with your surgeon and don't be offended if this Dr. tells you to give it more time.  All you can do at the moment is wait.  The good news is that this lip weakness is very rarely permanent.  The numbness of the lower lip if it truly does lack sensation may take longer to go away.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and neck liposuction recovery

+1

It is possible to develop some numbness and weakness after chin augmentation and liposuction of the neck. Nerves can be irritated during the surgery and swelling can also be involved. In most cases, these issues would be temporary but could take a few months to resolve. Your surgeon should monitor your progress to make sure you are improving over time.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after liposuction and chin implant.

+1

Most likely you are dealing with swelling around the sensory nerve called the mental nerve which is near the anatomic area where chin implants are placed. It's most commonly temporary but can last a few weeks. With regard to the weakness in your lower lip, that most likely is also related to swelling around the nerve to your lower lip called the marginal mandibular nerve. That will also likely be temporary, but you should discuss this with your surgeon. He/she will be best able to answer this. Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD