8 Weeks Post Op Labiaplasty. Pain During Intercourse?

It has been 8 weeks since my inner labia trimming. It looks beautiful just as I imagined. However right at the entry of my vagina it hurts during sex and even ripped two days ago. Not sure why I was sewn all the way there, but could it be that my doctor overlapped the skin and it will always hurt now? It doesnt look like it overlaps but sure feels tight. I had two kids and was sewn down there before and it didnt hurt nearly as much then. 8 weeks post op?

Labiaplasty and pain during intercourse

+1

Tightness and pain may be associated with early intercourse after labiaplasty. However, this pain should not occur repeatedly and may prompt a full examination by your labiaplasty surgeon. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Pain During Sex After Labiaplasty

+1

Hello. About 40% of women experience pain during intercourse for up to 8 weeks after labiaplasty. Normally, this pain will dissipate. If the pain does not improve, you need to be examined by your doctor.

Jaime Perez, MD
Labiaplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Pain during intercourse after labiaplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the pain and the ripping during intercourse.  After any surgery, things take time to heal.  Though it takes a year to fully heal most surical incisions, 6 weeks is often more than adequate to resume normal activities, including intercourse after labiaplasty.  I would definitely return to your plastic surgeon for an exam.  Here are some general thoughts, however.  At 6-8 weeks, your incisions are going to be about 50% of the strength they will ultimately be.  Though this is often more than sufficient, there is still quite a bit of healing left to do.  Also after surgery, you develop scar tissue.  After 6-8 weeks, your incisions start to go through a remodelling phase which can last upto a year.  Your scars should soften with time, and the vaginal opening should be able to stretch more readily.  Labiaplasty does tighten the vaginal opening to a certain degree so you may also consider slowly dilating the opening with gentle pressure over the next few weeks/months as it heals.

Hope this helps.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Painful Intercourse Post-Labiaplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear that you're still feeling uncomfortable 2 months after surgery.  There are multiple reasons why this may be happening.  The technical word for pain during intercourse is dyspareunia.  Slowly dilating the introitus (opening to the vagina) may be a necessary first element before true sexual intercourse.  This question should be referred directly to your plastic surgeon.  Once he or she has done a physical exam, I'm sure the answer will be obvious and don't worry, this always works out.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Painful intercourse 8 wks post-labiaplasty

+1

This is definitely a question requiring direct physical exam to answer appropriately.  My recommendation would be to re-visit your operating surgeon to see what s/he thinks.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD