6 weeks post op, increasing pain and swelling over the last week in left breast. Could this be a seroma?

I initially had implants 6 years ago but had them replaced due to rippling and they were over the muscle where as I wanted them under. The last surgery was done in Costa Rica 6 weeks ago. Approx 1 week ago the left breast became painful around the areola, I woke up this morning with sudden severe swelling. I have been using cold pacs, taking antibiotics and anti inflammatories. In the past I have had large fluid filled cysts in this breast, the pain is similar. Thank you.

Breast Surgery

+1
Unfortunately without high quality photos and a through in person physical exam along with a long discussion about your desires it is hard to give great information on the internet and you should see an in person exam with a board certified surgeon

Breast augmentation issue

+1

At six weeks after surgery, you can have several different things going on. Best to see a surgeon in person to be properly evaluated.

6 weeks post op, increasing pain and swelling over the last week in left breast.

+1

A photo might help. The possibilities include seroma, hematoma, infection. No one should make a specific diagnosis without a physical exam. You need to be seen by a plastic surgeon. SInce you did this out of the country, you may have difficulty finding someone. Your primary doc may be able to help. Otherwise and emergency room visit my be the only option. If this is an infection, delay in treatment will only make things worse.

Baltimore breast augmentation and swelling

+1

I tell my patients that sudden swelling after breast augmentation is most likely a late onset seroma. However, you should see a plastic surgeon soon to be fully evaluated.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Increased Pain and Swelling after Breast Augmentation

+1
-Without meeting with you in person and performing a physical exam, it is not possible to say exactly what is going on here. -A seroma, hematoma, or infection are all possibilities. -I would definitely recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated. -Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS