Is It Normal to Still Be Swollen 2 Months Post-Op Full Tummy Tuck? When Will I See Results?

I had huge belly during my pregnancies. I went to see my doctor and he showed me pics of what i may look like after.. i saw the big.chunk he took out but at 8 weeks i look at myself sideways.and.i still cant see results. I had breast aug as well so i thought it would help but i still look swollen.

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

What you are experiencing is very likely a normal part of recovery after tummy tuck surgery. Swelling may persist for many months after surgery and skin redraping may take more than a year to occur. Therefore, you will not see the final results of the surgery until that time.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon for examination to rule out "abnormal"  causes of swelling including seroma or  hematoma.

Continued patience is in order. You will likely be pleased with the long-term results of your surgery.

Swelling after Tummy Tuck Procedure

+1

I would first consult with your surgeon about your swelling and to make sure you do not have any fluid buildup under the skin. I understand patients want to have their final results immediately but everyone’s bodies function differently.

Swelling post tummy tuck can last up to 6 months. I would keep your surgeon in the loop on your progress and to also make sure you are seeing your surgeon and addressing your swelling and any other issues you may be having.

To learn more, please visit our page on tummy tuck results and outcome.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Swelling after a TT

+1

I have had a TT as well as performed hundreds of them.  It takes six months or more for the swelling to completely resolve.  I would not be concerned at this point, but I understand the frustration you are going through.  I was frustrated, too and I knew better.  Have you seen your surgeon lately?  You have have a fluid collection under the skin.  If you tap one side of your abdomen and see a wave move across it you have a seroma.  Chances are good that you just have normal swelling.  Just be patient.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Post op concerns after abdominoplasty

+1

Dear Della,

Post op swelling and waiting for it to resolve is frustrating for patients and surgeons alike.  I usually tell my patients to expect swelling to take 4 months to gradually disappear.  Occasionally a fluid collection beneath your skin can persist.  I would recommend that you let your surgeon examine you and determine your next step.

Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

May Still Be Swollen

+1

httThe swelling after an abdominoplasty takes quite a while to go away completely, however, you should be seeing some improvement at 2 months. If the swelling is significant, you may have a fluid collection called a seroma. This can be determined on an exam or with an ultrasound. In addition, it may be helpful to compare your preop pictures with a recent set to objectively see if there is a difference. The bottom line is to talk to your surgeon and get evaluated.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty Swelling

+1

It is a good idea to check with your surgeon directly because fluid can collect under the skin after an abdominoplasty.  Sometimes tissue swelling can persist for 6 months or more after this kind of surgery so it is important to differentiate between fluid collections and tissue swelling.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon