Can I Exercise 6 Weeks After Tummy Tuck?

I Will Be 6 Weeks Post Op (FTT, Lipo of the Flanks, BA, BL) Next Week What Excercise Are Recommended? I use to go to the gym 5-6 times a week & would run 3-5 miles. Can I do squats, lunges, lift weights if so how much. I would love to run again.

Exercise should be light after six weeks

+3

Some form of light exercise can start three to six weeks after surgery.  I encourage walking around even beginning the day after surgery.  Light exercise consists of light lifting no more than 10 pounds.  Climbing stairs can begin at about three weeks.  However, heavy exercise including leg lifts and sit ups should wait until about nine to twelve weeks after surgery.  I would rely on the advice of your surgeon.

Exercise after tummy tuck

+3

I advise my patient to perform only lite activity for the first 3 weeks after an abdominoplasty. If there is no seroma and no other complications, I allow my patients to gradually increase activity as tolerated. Usually this means low impact aerobic exercise such as an elliptical bike after 3 weeks, high impact aerobic exercises by 4-6 weeks and potentially light weight training after 6 weeks. I always inform my patients to listen to their own bodies. If they hurt or swell after exercise, I inform them too take it slower, and gradually increase activities as tolerated. Geoffrey Leber, MD

Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Exercise limitations after tummy tuck

+3

Ask your surgeon.

Only they know what they did in surgery and what their protocol is for surgery limitations.

We generally allow patients to resume full exercise, at their tolerance, at 6 weeks time.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/tummy-tuck-procedure.php

Exercise after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Questions like this should be addressed to your operating surgeon who knows your situation the best. Sometimes return to exercise may need to be delayed if the patient is  experiencing complications.  Generally speaking,  many patients are able to return to lower extremity work out,  without heavy lifting at the 6 week postop mark. 

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Exercise after TT, lipo, and BA

+2

This is a question most appropriate for your plastic surgeon. I usually recommend light cardio at 4 weeks; full cardio at 5 weeks; and weight training and abs at 6 weeks.  Keep in mind that it does vary patient to patient and everyone has a different tolerance for pain.  If you do decide to resume your workout regimen please take it slow.  It is important to listen to your body and slow down if it tells you to.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Tummy Tuck

+2

Every patient is a bit different, so it is always advisable to check with your surgeon.  That said, I usually allow patients to resume exercise 6 weeks after surgery.  However, I do caution them to incrementally increase the intensity of their exercise.   Even patients who were exercising regularly before surgery will feel more tired after not working out for 6 weeks.  Furthermore, patients who have had their muscles plicated often need some time to adjust, so that they don't feel as though they are pulling on the repair even if they are not.  Bottom line:  consult with your surgeon, and once he or she gives you the red light, start slow, and increase as tolerated. 

Exercise after Surgery

+2

You really need to consult with your surgeon for recommendations for exercise after your procedures.  I like to see my patients in post-op to ensure that they are healing properly before advising on resumption of exercise.  However, in most cases six weeks is enough time for recovery.  Just make sure that you do not push your body too much.  

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Exercise after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+2

I advise my liposuction and tummy tuck patients as follows.    I do many many very large tummy tucks and very large volume liposuctions.  Patients are advised to get up and walk the evening of their surgery.  Al have pain pumps that reduce discomfort by 80%.  Every day they are advised to walk a liilt more and a little further....5 to 10 x a day.    Walk, but do not run.   At two eeks post surgery a return to the gym is allowed.   Again a gradual approach of 1/4 workout progressively.  I say let pain be your guide.   By the 3rd week the wounds are 90% full strength and I allow a 1/2 full workout witht he same directions.  By the 4th week I allow a full workout.  Gym, Weights, treadmill, run, skydive, bungie cord jump;  the works.   At 4 weeks it may hurt to do it but you WILL NOT HURT YOURSELF.  A well repaired tummy tuck is 95% full strength at 4 weeks and go for it.   If you get uncomfortable, slow down if you wish.   My advice is pretty much the same for breast, face, nose, lipo, tummy tuck etc.   I have never in 30 years had a patient with a pulmonary embolism and I feel the early activity has been instrumental.   I have never regreted this safely aggressive program.  I have NEVER had  tummy tuck disrupt the midline repair.   I will contimue this regimen for my patients.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Exercise 6 weeks after tummy tuck is usually just fine!

+1

Assuming you have had an uneventful recovery, and that your surgeon approves, exercise at 6 weeks is not only possible but recommended!

BUT, you should start gradually so you do not injure areas that have not fully matured in the 6-12 month long healing process!

Also, keep your scars out of the sun (or tanning booth) as long as they are pink (6-12 months). Permanent ultraviolet avoidance is actually good, since you can obtain Vitamin D from fortified milk or oral vitamin supplements. Ultraviolet not only hyperpigments scars, but also cause skin cancers, wrinkles, and loss of collagen and elastic fibers over time. Spray tan or use self-tanning lotions! Cheers!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/tummy-tuck.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Post -Operative Excercise after Tummy tuck

+1

I agree with most of these surgeons about inquiring with your plastic surgeon about resuming you exercise routine.  I normally have my clients wait at least 4-6 weeks for all aerobic exercise and any strenuous heavy lifting.  All clients heal differently and I have all different age groups having the tummy tuck procedure from mid 20's to last month I had a 72 year old women.   Your age is usually a factor in healing quickly however my 70 year old client was back in the office at 4 weeks healed quickly and wanted to start her exercise routine again. Generally it is good to start back slowly with your exercise routine and build yourself back up in a gradual manner both with weights and aerobic exercises.  You may experience some swelling in your tummy area if you start back to soon.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon