Im 3 Weeks Post Op, Do I Have Capsular Contracture?

My right breast has been higher, smaller and mis-shapened while my left is bigger, rounder, and has dropped quick. I wonder if it takes time to look close to symmetrical or if I have capsular contraction?? Please help...

Early capsular contracture

+2

Without before and after pictures and more information such as implant style and size it is virtually impossible to make any kind of an informed response to your question. Implants typically take a few months to "settle" so it is a bit early to be concerned about capsular contracture. That having been said, share your concerns with your surgeon and if you are not happy with the response you are given, get a second opinion.

Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

Allow yourself at least 6-8 weeks for the swelling to decrease and the muscle to relax.  This part of the process is the slowest and most frustrating.  The breasts usually never look symmetrical after surgery.  Be patient and express your concerns to your surgeon.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

I agree with Dr Daniels

+1

I suggest a conversation with your surgeon as it could be implant malposition, capsular contracture, swelling, or a seroma .   Good luck!  

Dr Grant Stevens   

Grant Stevens, MD

3 weeks post op, ? capsular contracture

+1

I have seen early capsular contractures in patients starting at about 3 weeks post op, though it is more common a bit later than that.  I have also seen patients who are firmer than I thought they should be at 2-3 weeks, though they are usually symmetrical.  There are other causes that can produce an early asymmetry such as what you describe, such as hematoma (blood collection in the pocket) or a pocket that was under-dissected at surgery.  In any event, your surgeon should evaluate you to see what is going on in your case.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Early Capsule? Not likely

+1

I do not believe that you have a capsule this early. I believe you either have a hematoma or the surgical pocket was improperly dissected. Uneven breasts after surgery could also be because you were uneven pre operatively. A capsule this early is  not likely the problem.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based only on your written input without any posted photos I would worry more about a hematoma or a poorly dissected pocket than an early capsular contracture. See your chosen surgeon ASAP. 

Asymmetries 3 weeks post breast augmentation unlikely to be related to capsular contracture

+1

As you have read from the other plastic surgeon respondents, 3 weeks is tooo early to develop significant capsular contracture of your breasts. It is more likely that what are seeing are significant asymmetries that can be related to multiple factors such as pre-existing and technique/surgical related. Pre- and postoperative photos would be somewhat helpful in further addressing your question.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Capsular Contracture 3 Weeks After Breast Augmentation?

+1

Dear jk21 in Modesto, CA:

A link and video are included under "more" below. Three weeks is too early for capsular contracture. Most likely your left side is dropping faster than the right. Often one side takes the lead, especially if that side was larger before surgery.

If you were symmetrical before surgery and the pockets were made symmetrically, with time the right side should soften and drop. If the implants are behind the muscle, the right pectoralis may have been strained with the surgery and is still tight. This can take months to correct.

Be certain to discuss your findings with your plastic surgeon, and see if massage or displacement exercises can help speed the process along. Take pictures to monitor the changes, because it is hard to see changes day-to-day, and this becomes frustrating. If the asymmetry is improving, give it time. If the asymmetry persists, a revision may be necessary. So if exercises can help, the sooner they are started the better.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+1

It is hard to comment without seeing pre and post-op photos to evaluate your breasts.  It is unlikely that a capsular contracture would develop by three weeks, Usually there is some asymmetry between the two breasts and they will descend differently.

Breast augmentation

+1

Capsular contracture is not likely.  The problem may be due top improper size implants, or loose breast skin.  Need a photo to see.  Wait a few more weeks, then see your plastic surgeon.

Shahin Javaheri, MD