I Am 5 Weeks Post-op Breast Augmentation. Am I Too Wide? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation 5+ weeks ago, and the implants appear to be wide on my chest. I am hoping that they settle and I have less side breast. I had 350cc Mentor Silicone (under) Mod. Profile Plus. My breasts measured 12.2 and 12.4 (?) I asked for fuller, more natural looking breasts, and I got them! I just am praying they shrink a bit. Your thoughts?

Update: A resounding THANK YOU to the doctors who responded to my question after my breast augmentation. Thanks. I lamented for weeks over the width of my implant in my breasts. They turned out better than I expected. Thanks again for the professional advice.

Result after breast augmentation is still "in progress."

+2

It seems as if 5 weeks should be "enough" to see your results being better, but in reality, it can take much longer for some women with firm youthful tissues (that appears to be you.)

Imagine a 60 year-old woman who breast-fed 6 kids, gained and lost a lot of weight, and then undergoes breast augmentation surgery. You can almost hear the wind whistle as those implants drop into position! But when tissues are firm, muscular, and with great skin tone, implants take longer to drop into position. But they will. Gravity does not rest for anyone, and unless you are in the 3% of patients who form "bad" scars or capsular contracture, your breast implants will settle as more time goes by. Guaranteed.

What neither I nor anyone else cannot tell you is how long it will take, or how far they will drop. Follow-up visits with your surgeon are designed to help you with this healing process; many of us have our patients use elastic bands, and later, supportive brassieres, to aid in this process and the degree of final symmetry.

Please be patient; I suspect that as time goes by, you will be increasingly pleased with your results as your implants settle, and your tissues soften, stretch, and scars mature. This will likely take several months. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Width of the breasts appears appropriate at 1 month post-op

+1

Your breasts still need to settle a bit and the tissues need to soften, so it is very early to make any assessments of size, symmetry, or placement as things may still change over the next couple of months.  At this point the implants are properly centered on the nipples, and the spacing appears correct.  I would allow more time for settling and tissue healing to occur.  The average size of implant placed in our area is 400 cc, so 350 cc is right in the average range, and it is not out in left field.  Furthermore, the majority of implants in that size range that I use are moderate plus.  High profile usually looks too round, and ultra high profile, at least in this size range, will be that much rounder.  Roundness, or should I say spherical shape, is the opposite from natural in my opinion, so girls that request more "natural" appearing breasts typically wouldn't be happy with the amount of projection that those implants produce.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Wide implant result at 5 weeks post op

+1

Your implants may be a bit wide but at first the muscle tends to flatten the implant.  I would give is some time and I would imagine that your shape will improve.  

I Am 5 Weeks Post-op Breast Augmentation. Am I Too Wide?

+1

In my opinion based only on the few posted photos and without an in person examination I would have used UHP implants for you. 

Breasts too wide?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  You appear to have a very nice result. There will be many changes over the healing process, over the first 3-4 months.  A lot of the upper breast fullness will settle a bit as the implants settle in their pockets.  As far as the width of the breast, that can change, but not typically very much.  Your breast has a "footprint" on your chest wall, where your breast is anatomically located and attached to the chest.  This cannot be modified much and the implants are simply placed into a pocket under the breast to augment, or push them out.  The width of the breast after surgery is more of a direct result of the size or diameter of the implant chosen.  Let things settle, you appear to have a great result and will likely love your new look.  Congrats and best wishes.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

You appear to be healing normally.  It takes time for the implants to settle.  Make sure that you follow your surgeons post-op instructions, and direct any concerns to your surgeon.

Dennis Dass, MD

Are Breast Implants too Wide?

+1

For 5 weeks after surgery, the implants are still a bit high but typically do go down over time. Until they drop down, it is hard to comment on the width, but I bet they will be OK. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Too wide after breast augmentation

+1

It's hard to say as I didn't see you preop, but it appears as though you have natural appearing breasts.  Please allow them to settle for 2-3 months before making any final judgments.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

+1

Dear MIMom,

Thank you for your question and photos.  You seem to have a good result thus far.  It is difficult to tell about symmetry as one arm is raised and the other is not.  You do not appear to be too wide.  The breasts will continue to evolve over the 3-4 months following surgery.  Discuss any concerns with your plastic surgeon, and ask if he recommends any massages, particular type of bra, etc. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative Breast Shape and Size

+1

It is normal to be concerned about breast size and shape postoperatively. It takes at least 3 months for the swelling to resolve. Over that time, the tissues will relax and final breast shape will become apparent. Have patience during this period. I would also encourage you to discuss your concerns with your operating surgeon.  

Philip E. Fleming, MD