Will my Implant Drop Into the Pocket?

I am 3 weeks post op from having a breast augmentation. I was a small B and they were low and very loose. I am 5'9 and went with saline under the muscle, I had a crescent lift on the right breast which was my larger breast.

I had 550cc in the right breast and 600cc in the left breast. My concern is that the right breast is very RECTANGULAR, and the implant is obviously high, when I bend over my saggy small breast still dangles and my implant is in my chest wall. Will it drop into the pocket?

Implant will settle into a better position with time

+1

The implant shape may change but they will not looks smaller as they drop. At this point you just need to wait and allow gravity and you tissues to accommodate to the implant volume.

Submuscular implants with mastopexies can be problematic

+1

Subpectoral augmentation with mastopexy tend to be problematic as then lax tissue mastopexy tends to slide over the top of the muscle over time leading to a double bubble type of deformity.  The submuscular implant tends not to drop and may accentuate the deformity with descent of the breast.  

You are still early after surgery and might respond to breast garment straps to external push the implants inferioirly.  At the lest it might prevent further migration superiorly.

Hopefully this will address you issue.  However, if you have the misfortune of requiring a revision then discuss with your surgon the possibility of having submammary implants with cohesive gel and mastopexy. 

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

When will breast implants drop

+1

It generally takes up to 6-8 weeks for implants to drop.  This tends to be slower with large implants.  Massage and a breast band may speed the result.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  Donald R Nunn MD Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Implant high

+1

Yes it may fall down.i would recommend a starp across the top of your breast and massage to see if the implant can be coaxed down a little bit lower.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

The pocket is wherever the implant is located. Implants don't drop into pockets, but the pocket can shift or drop with time. If the scar tissue arount the implant that forms the pocket is too tight then the implant may not drop down. There is no way for us to tell what is going on without at least seeing a photo.

David E. Kim, MD

Lack of ideal results following breast augmentation with crescent lift

+1

Without photos, it is difficult to provide you with a more accurate assessment of your situation. However, by what you are describing it appears that your breasts are drooping off the implants probably as a result of the cresent lift being an inadequate solution for your excess and hanging skin. There may also be issues with regard to implant size and positioning on your chest wall that an exam can better discern. It doesn't sound like "waiting for the implants to drop" will correct your situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Will breast implant drop?

+1

It can take weeks to months for a breast implant that is riding high to drop down.  If a patient is riding high early on I will start using a breast strap that helps push the upper pole of the implant down.  

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1
Breast implants can sit high in the pocket and usually will drop over a couple of months. However, it sounds like you may still have some extra skin even after the crescent lift

David L. Abramson, MD

Breast Implant "dropping"

+1

It is typicall for implants to be high immediately after surgery and will typically take about 3-4months before you notice a "drop" that everyone refers to. The swelling is mostly gone by then and the tissues have had time to stretch and loosen and the implant appears  and is lower than right after surgery. At 3wks you are too close to surgery to make any final judgements on the outcome. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and be patient.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Will my Implant Drop Into the Pocket?

+1

If you have laxity of your breast over the implant, then you should consider wearing a breast strap over that breast to help strech out the capsule while it is still forming.  This will help make the shape more rounded, as well as strech the pocket to allow the implant to drop.  If you do not get results after a few months of wearing the strap, you may need a revision.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon