Asymmetrical 4 Weeks After Mini Tuck w/ Muscle Repair - Is This Normal?

I had a breast aug, mini tuck and muscle repair, I love everything about my new chest but I have been emotional for the last 2 weeks over the lack of improvement of my stomach. I have a "lopsided" look, a lump on the upper left part of my stomach,you can't see my belly button and a crack look from my belly button to my lower stomach has formed and wont go away.I would have never done it if it weren't for the skin hang down when I would bend over before, my hearts broken over this surgery.

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

This does not sound normal and I recommend a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon if your surgeon is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  There may be some unusual swelling, but this procedure should not be as disfigured as you describe.  If you have failed to wear a compression garment, perhaps you have some unusual swelling, but that is not common.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.  I am hopeful, since you are only a few weeks out of your surgery that your situation will improve and you will be pleased with the results of his surgery.  You should certainly  continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon to rule out complications and to express your questions and concerns.

Unfortunately your situation is not uncommon. In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Seroma?

+1

I am sorry that you are distraught. I am assuming that the picture on the left is preoperative and the two on the right postoperative. Causes of the contour problems could be: 1. Soft tissue swelling. This should improve with time and compression. 2. There is a collection of fluid called a seroma. This can often be managed in the office with needle aspiration, but large or persistent collections may require surgical drainage. Your surgeon will be able to tell on examination. See him/her as soon as you can. Good luck.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after tummy tuck

+1

I assume that the first photo was taken before the other two. I see the source of your dissatisfaction. Two things come to mind - whether there is any excess fluid collection in the lower part of the tummy or whether you have gained some weight since the operation. If your weight has not changed much, please see your surgeon to rule out the former.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical 4 Weeks After Mini Tuck

+1

I am sorry to hear about your current predicament.  I see that you included three pictures with your description.  Which of the three is your postoperative picture?  Regardless,  with just the given information, it is not uncommon to have some swelling post-operatively for several months.  Each person’s body responds to the trauma of surgery differently and the swelling may last longer in some patients compared to others, and may even be more significant on one side compared to the other.   Allow some time for the healing process to progress.  As the edema(swelling) subsides the appearance can change and improve.  As always discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

Ernesto Hayn, MD