I am 8 weeks post op and am pleased with my results except for dog ears and fullness on hips. Will these issues subside?

I had my tummy tuck in March. Very happy with the results except noticing the dog ears on both sides and depressed when I look at them protrude. Also, a little fullness in the hip area (over the dog ears) and am hoping that will go down. Can you help me process this and how do I handle it with my plastic surgeion without feeling like they've let me down?

Dog ears and fullness after tummy tuck

+2
It is hard to answer this without photos. Excess fullness on the sides can get better but anything that remains after 3-6 months will probably not go away.

Dog Ears and Fullness

+2
I would recommend allowing at least 3 months and possibly 6 months for the swelling to subside and the dog ears to shrink.  That being said, it sounds like you may end up needing a touch up procedure to correct the dog ears and fullness.  This could probably be done under local anesthesia in the office. Just have a frank discussion with your surgeon and let him/her know your concerns. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Fullness of hips

+2
The best approach is the direct approach. Just ask your plastic surgeon about his/her opinion about the fullness of your hips. They will be able to give you their opinion and a time frame for either self resolution or a plan for revision and treatment. Good luck

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Dog ears

+2
Without photos it is hard to predict whether these might resolve over the first 6 months of healing. However, a visit to your surgeon will allow for an answer based on an examination, the best way. 

Being frank and honest about what you like and don't like about the outcome is the best approach.  your surgeon will have dealt with this many times unless he is just out of training. He wants you to be happy with the outcome. Oftentimes dog ears are unavoidable without extending the incision beyond the standards for a TT. It is not a question of being let down, but one of helping you reach your goal.

Results pleasing except for a few issues.

+2
What a great question. You may still have some swelling that needs to subside, but I always recommend talking to your surgeon whenever you have concerns. Write down your questions and bring them with you. Speak to him/her with respect and truthfulness and you should not have any issues. Your doctor is on your side. He/she wants you to have the best experience and wants you to be happy with your results. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Dogears after abdominoplasty do not go away.

+2
If you have a dog ear after in abdominoplasty eventually a surgical revision will be necessary.It may however flattened A bit as swelling subsides.

+2
Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. The areas of concerns that you mention will likely improve with time;  best to evaluate the long-term outcome of the procedure performed 6 months, if not one year postoperatively.  It is nice of you to be concerned about the best way to approach your plastic surgeon; if in the long term, you have these concerns, best to approach your plastic surgeon in a calm and constructive fashion. It is likely that he/she will see your concerns and will be able to work with you to improve the outcome. Best wishes.

If you are 8 weeks following surgery you still have at least one more month

+1
If you are 8 weeks following surgery you still have at least one more month of swelling to deal with. If there are dog ears on the ends of your incision, they will probably lessen with time but still may require revision, which is a simple process of trimming off the skin under local anesthesia. If there is still fullness of the hips and you have had liposuction and these areas are firm, you can expect some additional swelling to go away over the next month or so and see an improved outcome. Make sure you go to a board certified surgeon for the best results. Thanks!

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon