1 Month Post Rhinoplasty, Should I be Concerned about Dent Where Dorsal Hump Was Removed and Obvious Nostril Asymmetry?

Hello--i'm 4 weeks post op & know I've got a long road of healing ahead, but i'm worried about what appeared as the swelling went down on the bridge (i have very thin skin). There is a dent right where the dorsal hump was that makes me concerned there may have been an over correction. Also, the whole nose is a little crooked and creates a subtle "c" shape. worse still, though, my nostrils are very assymetrical w/one being considerably higher than the other. i appreciate any advice.

Addidional Photo Added 9/23/11

Dorsal deformity

+1
A hyaluronic acid filler can help conceal the depression on the dorsum that is developing.  It may have developed from trauma to the skin flap.  More complex options include fat grafting, which would be difficult to control as far as volume.  

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Nose asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

Hello Savannah,

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I understand your anxiety about the shape of your nose and it seems like you have a good outlook on the time it will take to heal.  Once all of the swelling has gone away and the shape of your nose has stabilized your options will be either full revision, of the shelf fillers, fat grafting, or "closed" placement of dorsal graft.  You will not be able to know if any of these will be needed until at least a few more months down the road.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Dent after Rhinoplasty

+1

Can't tell about the nostrils. The dent/depression is a little worrisome but don't freak out. If it stays there you could probably have it fixed with just one of the injectable fillers, like Perlane. It's not permanent but should last over a year. that way you could enjoy the results and not stress about having to have more surgery. If it works well you could either have it repeated or have a simple touch up revision to place some cartilage in the same spot. Take a deep breath.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Rhinoplasty gone wrong

+1

At four weeks most would say that things are too early to judge. However, the dent on the photo is not so good and you are quite right in being discouraged. Most comments are probably that you will need things revised. The issue is when. Discuss things fully with your surgeon as he is certain to recognize the problems. Perhaps he will reassure that he is there for you, and make corrections months later when the nose is healed and the 'full scope' of the fix is known.

peterejohnsonmd

You may be a candidate for an Injectable Filler treatment to improve the indentation on your bridge after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

The small indentation on your bridge may be filled without further surgery. You may want to consult a facial plastic surgeon familiar with the delicate art of using fillers in the nasal bridge. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

Your nostril asymmetry is not easily evaluated from the photos you posted.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Findings post rhinoplasty

+1

I would suggest you return to your surgeon and discuss your options. it is difficult to tell all from photos, hands on examination is the best. sometimes little injections of fillers can correct little irregularities that you see if necessary.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Female

+1

I too am worried about your dent. If it persists a filler may resolve the problem instead of a graft. The elevated nostril may resolve itself with time. Keep you follow up appointments or eventually a second opinion

David A. Bray, Sr., MD