I Am 6 Weeks Post Op After a Short Scar Smas Lift and Have a Ridge of Scar Tissue on my Cheek. (photo)

How Long Will It Take to Resolve? My main concern is that I have a very noticeable ridge of scar tissue after developing a seroma on my cheek. It was aspirated twice. That side of my face did not heal as well. I am not a smoker but on Actemra and Altrait for rheumatoid arthritus. I had a wound of suffering skin just in front of my ear but it is slowly diminishing. My PS says that the wall from the seroma will resolve in time. I have had one treatment of ultrasound so far. Is steroid injection a good ideal also.

Ridge of Scar tissue

+1

You are still very early in the recovery process. You need more time for the tissues to heal. We all expect and aim for immediate perfection, however a seroma is a possible risk. I would continue with the ultrasound, however I would not recommend steroid injections.

Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps on face after facelift

+1

While you are certainly still in the early stages of healing and this area will continue to improve, it is important that you follow closely with your surgeon.

The medications you are on for your rheumatoid arthritis can have some impact on healing but as a nonsmoker this is in your favor.

Kenalog shots or a small revision surgery may be necessary if this area stops improving.

Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD

Steroid Could Help

+1

Thank you for your photo. Steroids may be helpful. I would start with tissue massage at this point and observation. Then move to low-dose steroid injection.

Dr. ES.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Ridge of skin after facelift- not to worry

+1

This can occur after a facelift, especially if you have had a seroma. It can also occur if one side develops more bruising or hematoma (collection of blood under the skin) or if you have thin skin with many rhytids (wrinkles), that can change direction after surgery. Don't be disappointed that one side healed differently than the other, think of it as two different surgeries as both sides of the face are not identical and regularly heal differently. This will resolve, and can take time, sometimes up to 2-3 months. I always tell my patients that 100% healing will occur 6 months, as there will always be some bumpiness on the incision lines, or fullness on the sides of the face or under the chin that can take time to completely resolve. I would only do a steroid injection if on examination, your PS feels there is a significant amount of scar tissue (which it does not look like in your case). Massage, ultrasound and tincture of time is your best option at this point.  

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

I Am 6 Weeks Post Op After a Short Scar Smas Lift and Have a Ridge of Scar Tissue on my Cheek.

+1

Dear Moennich,

Thank you for your question and photos.  At this point, if there is no further fluid, I would allow this are to heal without too much manipulation.  There may be a little scar tissue internally that can settle with time.  If it does not, then massage may help later.  Also steroid injection may help.  These modalities need to be tried after everything is well healed.  Many months from now.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

I would not intervene at this point if there is not residual fluid.  The scar maturation process can take months.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift

+1

It is possible that the ridge you have on the cheek is due to the seroma, and or thin skin flap. A physical exam is needed to tell what is going on. If this is a scar adhesion then continue the external ultrasound, once or twice a week. Absolutely no cortisone injections. Cortisone will cause fat necrosis, and thinning of the skin.

Face ridge after Smas lift.

+1

This will improve over time and the only other treatment is ultrasound 2 times per week. NO STEROID injections!