1 Month Post-Op Breast Lift/Implants and Have Sharp Pain in Left Breast/Ribs, What Could this be?

Hi, I had a breast lift with aug about 4 weeks ago now. I felt fine after getting my sutures out and was in really no pain at about 3 wks post op. I noticed about a week ago my left breast was getting really sore and looked as if it started moving back up. I don't recall lifting anything heavy or straining it. The pain is sharp and goes under my left arm to my ribs and I cant take deep breaths b/c the pain is so bad in my chest, ribs, back and shoulders. I cant even lift my arm up. Suggestions?

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

The source of your pain is likely muscle in origin.  The other possibility is that it is a capsule contracture starting. Muscle relaxation medication will diagnose and take care of the first problem.  If its a capsule contracture, massage and time may help but it may need to be addressed down the road by surgery.

Dr Repta

Pain in breast

+1

Pain in the breast at one month can be many different things. A physical exam would be important to help with the diagnosis.  It can be muscle spasm, or an early capsular contraction to name a few.

Pain after breast implants

+1

This kind of pain usually is because of the procedure, in which we have to make a space to put the implants there. During this we have to separate the tissue. In some times the nerves get stretched during this. This sharp pain is part of the healing process of the nerves, eventually this is going to disappear.  This is my opinion but the best one is going to be your're doctor opinion, so let him take a look.

Francisco Sauceda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Sharp pains in breast after breast implants

+1

Sharp pains felt in the breast several weeks after placement of implants can be a sign that nerves that were stretched during surgery are now recovering or an early indicator for the development of a capsular contracture.  You should follow up with your plastic surgeon to be examined. That way if it is a capsule thats forming  this can can be addressed before it progresses too far.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Pain of breast and chest 1 month post breast augmentation

+1

The symptoms that you are describing frequently occur with muscle strains of the chest, most often involving the muscles between the ribs. There are other possibilities as well such as capsular contracture, however. I suggest that you contact your surgeon who can then examine you a provide you with a more definitive answer.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Pain following Breast Augmentation/Lift

+1

Everyone heals differently.  It is prudent to follow-up with your surgeon and let him/her examine you.   It may be as simple as a pulled muscle!

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Pain After Surgery

+1

Dear Missmedic08,  Your question gives a number of clues as to what may be happening to cause you the discomfort you are experiencing.  One of the early signs of a possible capsular contracture is an increase in pain in the breast after breast augmentation.  Other signs include the breast feeling firmer than before, a change in the shape of the breast, and a shift in the implant position-usually upwards.  From your description, you may be experiencing the early signs of developing a capsular contracture around your breast implant.  This is something you should contact your plastic surgeon about and ask to be seen.  Because your plastic surgeon knows how your breasts appeared during your earlier recovery period, they will be able to compare your exam and determine if a contracture is occurring.  Also, if you are not having a contracture, your surgeon may be able to determine what is causing your pain and recommend treatment options.  Please contact your surgeon and get seen soon.  Good Luck!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Post op pain

+1

This pain could be from many reasons, and only an exam will reveal which is causing yours.  Likely, if you have no other symptoms, you will be fine, but run it by the doctor.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Sharp Pain after Breast Implants/Lift?

+1

It is concerning that you're having this degree of recent onset pain after doing well for the first few weeks after surgery. It is also concerning the your pulmonary system seems to be involved directly or indirectly. The symptoms are not normal and should  not be ignored. The differential diagnosis is long  and includes serious issues such as pulmonary embolism.

Based on your description I would suggest immediate follow-up with your physician or even an emergency room visit if necessary.