Over 3 Weeks Post my Rhinoplasty W/major Swelling, is It Effective to Start Arnica Montana Now?

I have had my RhinoPlasty over 3 weeks ago, with some major bruising and swelling. My surgeon didn't place me on any pre or post treatment other than antibiotics. I am wondering since I am seeing very slow progress in swelling reduction specially between my eyebrows and on one side of my nose, having read some post about the Arnica, would it be recommended approach to take these tablets? how about Steroid shot? I have an event in 2 weeks, any help to reduce the swelling is greatly appreciated!!

Arnica After Surgery

+1

Arnica is usually used directly after surgery to reduce bruising so you will probably not see results if you started now. Taping your nose at night may still help to reduce swelling, but the only thing that will completely reduce the swelling is time. It takes about three months for the majority of the swelling from rhinoplasty to subside, and about a year for the healing to complete.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Arnica Intake To Deacrease Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear CuriousP,

At 3 weeks post-op, I doubt that Arnica would help but I do not see a harm from trying it.

However, I recommend that you communicate with your surgeon as he/she knows the full details of your surgery. Following your surgeon's post-op instructions is essential ensuring the smoothest recovery and the best results possible.

Thank you for your inquiry. The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Post Rhinoplasty surgery - Arnica usage

+1

Yes to the Arnica Montana!  No to steriods unless you are actively trying to thin an area (such a the suptratip area).  With Arnica, go with a company that has some research behind it because the dosage is important.  We use the SINECCH brand.  I don't remember exactly the dose they recommended but it was significantly higher than what was offered at GNC. 

Additionally keep your head elevated on 2-3 pillows when you sleep.  Don't exercise quite yet.  Consider also going to an Aesthetician familiar with tissue massage techinques to massage out swelling.  The swelling will go down with time and previously as surgeons we talked about approximately a year or two until you go your final result. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Swelling post op

+1

Arnica won't hurt. How effective it will be at this time is also probably limited. What does your surgeon recommend to you?

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon