5 Weeks Post Jowl Lipo and Neck Lift. What is Going On? (photo)

My left side seems more swollen and loose. My smile is still crooked and I'm miserable. :(. I see my doctor next week. Can my jowls still tighten? Im out of patience. Please advise.

5 weeks after jowl lipo and neck lift and unsatisfied.

+1

It is not uncommon to still have swelling 5 weeks after a surgical procedure so you may have some improvement yet to appear. However, liposuction to the jowl area rarely makes much of a significant improvement. Typically to improve jowls a facelift is required and very potentially some form of neck lift. I hope that you get some further improvement. As for your smile, it is difficult to tell, but you may have a little weakness due to residual swelling of a nerve/muscle to your lower lip and that will usually resolve over several weeks to months. 

Will my jowls get tighter? I'm 5 weeks post necklift with jowl lipo.

+1

I'm sorry that you are not satisfied with your results.  From your photos, it looks like you could've benefited more from a face and neck lift.  Jowls are a difficult area to liposuction as it's typically loose skin not fat.  If you are too aggressive with liposuction, then you can end up with more loose skin and create a whole other problem.  In my experience, if you have jowls, a face lift is the best procedure to see improvement in that area.  I consider a face/neck lift a set as I've noticed that patients who do one, typically come back to do the other as you begin to notice the other area more. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Versus Facelift for Jowls

+1

To address the jowls, you really need to have a facelift and not a neck lift.  Neck lift will help tighten the skin of the neck (essentially everything below the jawline), but will not tighten the jowls.  The jowls need to be elevated in the superior and oblique direction, which cannot be approached thorough a purely neck lift procedure.  Liposuction, of the jowls will only have a partial effect as the skin needs to be tighten as well, not just fat removed.  Since you have already had surgery and you are only 5 weeks post op, I would suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon at your follow up appointment. 

David Shafer, MD

Jowls and necklift results

+1

A necklift procedure does not address jowling.  In my experience liposuction of the jowls does not help much.  I would encourage you to discuss expectations with your surgeon but if no procedure was done to reposition the supportive tissue of the face, the jowls will not improve much further.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowl Liposuction and Neck Lift

+1

It would be helpful to see before photos for comparison, but in general, it is not unusual to have asymmetries with our faces and bodies. Asymmetries are generally improved depending on the severity, but they are dependent on several factors. Also, 5 weeks is too short of time to evaluate results, It takes several months for tissues to relax and settle into their new position. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon as advised.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

5 Weeks Post Jowl Lipo and Neck Lift. What is Going On?

+1

You needed a facelift with the neck lift! Choosing lipo on the jowls was a poor decision on your or your chosen surgeons part. Sorry that you will need further surgery.