8 Weeks Post Implant Surgery Pain In Left Breast, Is This Morning

I started experiencing left breast pain in the lower right hand region of breast aprox. 1 to 1 ½ weeks ago with the pain worsening. Seems to be worse at night, certain movements. Pain feels like stabbing, burning, scratching, pulling….many different feelings all uncomfortable. I’ve taken ibuprofen to take the edge off and also iced the area s well. I am 8 weeks post surgery for implants (after db mastectomy with recon) Left breast was also radiated 32 times pre mastectomy Whitcount 4.6.

Breast Surgery

+1
It is extremely hard to make accurate diagnosis as well as giving crucial decision making clinical decision without an in person physical examination along with a length discussion, please see your local board certified plastic surgeon in your area. If you dont have a surgeon you can look at the american society of aesthetic plastic surgery website and search by zip code or postal code. I wish you the best success!

Breast Augmentation

+1

The radiation can leave the breast with some deep scar tissue and the pulling, tugging feeling can be related to this.  Having your surgeon /Board Certified Plastic Surgeon examine the tissue will allow a more accurate assessment of the condition of the breast area, and your options for treatment.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Pain After Breast Reconstruction Can Be Normal

+1

It is not unusual after breast reconstruction with expanders/implants to have some strange sensation changes over the healing process.  You are probably experiencing a nerve irritation that got stertched or damaged during the process, and now is trying to find its way back to normal.  I would massage that breast, really stretch out that arm, utilize ibuprofen or some other NSAID, and let your surgeon know.  Anytime you are dealing with previous radiation, etc., strange things can go on.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Breast Pain

+1

Although the pain you are experiencing is not uncommon and usually just due to the overall healing process, it is always best to get it examined directly by your treating surgeon...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Post Op Breast Implant Pain

+1

The quality of the pain and the timing of this pain is likely 1 of 2 things.  The sharp, stabbing nature tells me it's likely nerve pain. You have described it like a text book.  Tightening secondary to your previous radiation is also possible. I would think your surgeon has you on an exercise program? Maybe some Occupational Therapy including External ultrasound. Keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon and communicate your concerns.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast pain

+1

It is likely that this is normal post-op pain, but breasts that were radiated can have many problems especially with tight capsules.  I would suggest you see your surgeon to review your concerns.  Hopefully it is nothing major.

Breast Implants - Pain Post-Op (Reconstruction) - Should I Be Concerned?

+1

Hi chya in Ukiah, CAm

Most likely everything is fine but you should, of course, be in touch with your own plastic surgeon about this (and all other) issues.  That's certainly true of pain that has been present for over a week and is worsening.  As noted, complications can occur in anyone but are even more likely in someone who's had radiation.  There are several non-invasive diagnostic tests that can be done and may be advisable just to make sure that it's nothing that would require intervention.

Again, hopefully everything Will be fine, but in view of your history and symptoms, I agree with pursuing it a bit.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. .E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Nw Onset Breast Pain 8 weeks after Reconstruction

+1

The reconstruction of a radiated breast with implants has a relatively high rate of potential complications. A sudden onset of pain as you describe needs to be assessed by your surgeon it may be any of several potential causes including implant deflation, implant infection, inflammatory fluid in the pocket, etc.  You may require a CT or MRI to asses implant integrity. There is no way of guessing what it may be without an examination.

Good Luck

Dr. Peter A Aldea