6 Weeks Post Ftt and my Belly Looks Disfigured! Options? (photo)

i had a tummy tuck 6 weeks ago after losing 14 stones. straight after surgery for the first week i had a super flat tummy. towards the end of week 4 i developed an infected seroma (i think this is what it is called) i was in hospital and had a drain for 2 weeks. i now am almost 6 weeks post op and i look disfigured. my tummy overhangs and my scar seems really high! i also have a small hole where the drain bag was, although this is healing! what do i do! im so upset..

Full tummy tuck revision

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  I am sorry to hear about your tummy tuck healing problems.  If you do not have any medical issues that prohibit you from having surgery or healing, a full tummy tuck revision can create a significant improvement in your abdominal appearance.  My guess is that you may not have had a drain or it was removed an you accumulated a seroma afterwards.  A full tummy tuck revision will be able to improve most if not all of your abdominal contour/appearance issuses.

Dr. Remus Repta

6 Weeks Post Ftt and my Belly Looks Disfigured!

+1

I always say 6 weeks out from surgery is too soon to tell final results.  However, in your situation, it appears that an additional surgery will be required. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Abdominoplasty Results

+1

There are potentially two or three causes to your current problem and a combination of them may be contributing to your current laxity.  One, the incision placement at surgery could have been too high with not enough skin removed.  Two, weight loss patients tend to have poor elasticity and even when made as tight as possible at surgery, sometimes end up with more laxity and need additional skin resection later.  This usually takes longer than six weeks to show up.  Thirdly, the fact that you had a seroma could cause your skin to stretch more and the issue with the infection could have caused elevation of the scar. 

With your history of the infected seroma, I would advise waiting before reoperation.  If you reoperate too soon, the infection risk is significantly higher.

Donald Griffin, MD

Tummy tuck results

+1

Based on your pictures, you would benefit from additional skin removal.  Talk to your plastic surgeon about what he can do for you to meet your expectation.  If you are unhappy with the explanation you can seek out a second opinion by another board certified Plastic Surgeon.  As long as your expectations meet up with what is realistic given your body and skin features, you will be happy.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

+1

In large weight loss the expectations are much higher than the results. I offer a two staged operations. You need additional surgery. Sorry

Tummy tuck results

+1
Right now, the result does not appear optimal. When patients have had extreme weight losses, on occasion, the surgeon can perform the operation and then literally need to resect twice as much skin because, at the end, it appears that more remains. This is usually based on skin which has such a degree of laxity that it even stretches out during the operation. If this happened during your operation, you should certainly discuss it and the ramifications for revisional surgery with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Your results is less than optimal

+1

I suspect many doctors will tell you that it has only been a short time since your surgery and you need to wait, let things "settle" and then to speak with your surgeon about your concerns. While all this is true and good advice, there is no questionthat your result is less than optimal.  You will need revisional surgery. I agree that your scar is high, too little skin was removed, and almost certainly did not get the result you or your surgeonw as hoping for. You need to decide if you are comfortable letting your current surgeon perform a revision or you woul dlike to get a new surgeon.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Result after Massive Weight Loss Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on how much weight you lost, your skin is very loose and may stretch a bit more even after surgery. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon to make sure you don't have a persistent seroma (fluid collection under the skin). Then, once things are healed (in 6 to 9 months), you may consider a revision, if still needed.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Disfigured after TT

+1

I can understand your concerns. it almost looks like not enough skin was removed and perhaps the horizontal scar is too high. I'm not sure I would rush in to try and fix things now because you already had the problem with the infected seroma. On the other hand I would suggest having a polite serious conversation with your surgeon with respect to your expectations, goals and present condition. try to come up with a plan in the event things do not settle down to your liking.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I'm sorry to hear about your complicated post operative course.

Although I can empathize with your disappointment at this time,  unfortunately there is not much to do but to allow for ongoing time and healing to occur before evaluating the results of your surgery and the potential need for revisionary surgery.

At this point in your recovery,  especially given your complicated course,  significant swelling is to be expected. it will take several months and up to a year for complete resolution of the swelling and redraping  of the skin to occur.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon  and as much patience as you can summon.