Bathing 6 Weeks After Breast Reduction

I Am 6 Weeks Post Breast Reduction,and Incisions Are Without Scabs Etc,is It Safe to Bathe?

Bathing after Breast Reduction

+1

Congratulations on your decision to undergo Breast Reduction. I usually let my patients shower 48 hours after surgery. If you do not have a shower, than a bath is acceptable provided you don't completely submerge your incisions. You can also attach a handheld shower head which may be helpful.  

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bathing after Breast Reduction

+1

I usually have patients wait 4 days before showering.  A bath is fine at 6 weeks as long as all inisions are completely healed with no raw or weeping areas.  It might still be a good idea to avoid very hot water submersion or a jacuzzi for another few weeks if there still is significant swelling.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Bathing After Surgery

+1

You should contact your surgeon for these types of questions as practices do vary.  Also you should be provided with clear post-operative instructions.

In our San Francisco Bay Area practice we have patients wait until after their bandages are removed at their first post-operative appointment before showering. We advise all patients to refrain from soaking in a bathtub until 2 weeks post-operative and soaking in pools, lakes, or rivers until 4 weeks post-op to minimize risk of infection.

Additionally, as an alternative to delaying washing your hair or washing in the sink you may be able to find a local salon that will wash your hair for less than the price of a haircut.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Probably....

+1

You should always ask your surgeon on wound issues but this far out most patients are OK in a bath.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Bathing after Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

I am assuming that you are asking about sitting in the bath tub (still water), not showering.  I always want to make sure that the incision line is completely healed before I advising my patients that they are OK to go into "still water" - bath, jacuzzi, pool, etc..  The reason for that is because if you still have openings, there is a possibilty for infection because the "still water" is not usually clean. 

Post-op bathing after 6 weeks after a breast reduction

+1

This is something your surgeon should have told you, but if all has healed, It should be ok.  I usually allow my patients to shower once the drains are removed and then they can take a bath( soaking) after about 4 weeks.

Post Op Bathing After Breast Reduction

+1

Yes, bathing after your incisions are healed is fine. I tell my patients they may shower 24 hours after the drains are removed (if they had them). Drains are usually in place for 3 to 5 days and only sponge baths are permitted during this time to avoid infection.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Bathing After Breast Reduction

+1

Your surgeon should have advised you about showering, etc., but there is no reason for not bathing if you are six weeks post-op.  In fact, I almost always allow my reduction patients to shower on the first post-op day.

John Whitt, MD

I Am 6 Weeks Post Breast Reduction,and Incisions Are Without Scabs Etc,is It Safe to Bath?

+1

You have not bathed in 6 weeks???? YES PLEASE wash. I do not believe your surgeon of record has not informed you on the proper post surgery care.