6 Weeks Post Breast Augmentation Infection of Vertical Incision?

6 weeks ago I had breast augmentation and lollipop lift. For the past week I have been having trouble with the vertical incision on my left breast. I've sen my PS twice about it and he keeps saying it's normal and seems unconcerned. The skin aroun the incision is severely red with tiny white patches (I assume where the sutures are poking through?) and every time I change the gauze covering the incisions there is yellow-pink liquid and tiny amounts of blood. He keeps telling me this is normal?

Problem most likely related to deep sutures coming through the skin

+2

As stated by several other respondents, without posting pictures clearly showing the area, any answers given will be conjecture. Nevertheless, it sounds like you may be having a few deep sutures coming through the skin which are often referred to as "spitting sutures". There will be drainage and localized redness which can progress to a more significant problem if not addressed in a timely fashion. This can also lead to wider, less desirable scars. The treatment is simple and straightforward: remove the sutures poking through the skin.

I do recommend that you follow up closely with your plastic surgeon.

Pink skin and white dots 6 weeks after breast lift may be suture spit

+1

Thank you for your question. A photograph of the incision would be helpful. Most commonly at 6 weeks small white dots on a pink incision after breast lift is usually caused by deep, dissolvable sutures breaking through to the surface. If this is what is going on your surgeon can easily remove the sutures.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Infection of vertical incision

+1

Its ahrd to comment without pictures. Sutures may be spitting which does cause the discharge you have mentioned. The only real way to know is to do a physical exam.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast incision healing issues

+1

You probably have a stitch abscess.  This should improve with stitch removal by your surgeon.   You want to make sure there is no underlying infection.  Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Aug/lift infection at vertical incision?

+1

It sounds like you are having a problem with "spitting sutures". Sometimes a suture that should dissolve instead works its way too close to the undersurface of the skin and becomes partially exposed and "spits" out. You can get a small localized pustule, and this is usually treated by the surgeon unroofing the pustule and using an antibiotic ointment on the open area. If the surrounding skin is red just around the rim of the wound, that does not necessarily indicate the need for oral antibiotics. If the area of redness is more wide and advancing away from the skin edges, antibiotics may be indicated for this infection.  "Sptting sutures" is not an uncommon problem, but if it is more extensive, the scar when healed may be wider in this area and may require a revision down the line...usually not except in severe cases.  Your surgeon is the right person to discuss this with and of course you should follow his advice...he may be telling you this is "normal" as a way of saying it is not uncommon and usually resolves over time, but if you are not reassured, then you should discuss it with him in greater depth.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Lollipop incision

+1

Hard to say what is going on exactly without an exam,b ut I would follow closely with yoru surgeon if the incision is not healing properly or at least to your satisfaction.

Incision draining after breast augmentation

+1

Care after breast augmentation is an important time in your relationship with the surgeon you selected. If you have chosen well your surgeon will be there for you with frequent visits and a careful explanation of your progress. If you feel your relationship does not meet your needs you may feel better having another physician take a look, perhaps your family physician. An open wound or drainage in not 'normal' six weeks after breast lift with implants.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast incision drainage

+1

Not all drainage from a breast lift incision is from infection, in fact, it almost always isn't from infection.  Please follow closely with your Seattle doctor until you are completely healed and there is no more drainage.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Incision

+1

I would make sure you stay in touch with your PS regarding the healing of your incision.  Without photos there's no way telling where you stand now.  Part of being a competent PS other than a good result is to be a good problem solver as outcomes in medicine are very unpredictable at times.  If you have faith in your PS than by all means follow his guiideline for safe healing

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Please send your pictures

+1

Your doctor is best person to take care of you. I would continue to follow his recommendation. If you want reassurance,please send pictures.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon