3 Weeks Post Bleph Left Eye Has Mild Ptosis - Wait or Revise?

3 Weeks Post Bleph Left Eye Has Mild Ptosis Which I Had Before Bleph. Wait or Revise? Is it too early? I noticed ptosis at 1 to 2 weeks. I have exercised eye but nothing has changed at 3 weeks. Suggestions?

Ptosis following blepharoplasty

The key point here is whether or not a ptosis repair was attempted as part of the blepharoplasty procedure.  If so, and the problem appears to be worse post operatively I think it merits a visit with your surgeon to insure the repair is intact.  You may still be seeing swelling this soon post op.  If the ptosis was not repaired it will not improve.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis

You stated that you had the ptosis before the blepharoplasty  surgey. One problem is that good blepharoplasty skin removal without specifically addressing the ptosis will usually make the ptosis more apparent. The shame is that you could have corrected the ptosis at the same time through the same incision. Fear not though once all is healed you can still have the ptosis surgery to correct the problem. Don't bother with exercises, you have a levator aperneurosis dehiscence and its here to stay until its surgically corrected.

Ptosis and Eyelid Surgery

Was your ptosis corrected during the surgical procedure? Please check with your surgeon to determine this if you are not certain. I would suggest that you have an evaluation with your surgeon to make sure that you are healing properly and according to plan. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

With a mild ptosis, you always want to wait and see if it heals.

We recommend waiting because it can get better if it’s due to bruising or trauma. We usually wait a minimum of 3 months if it’s a mild ptosis. If it’s a severe ptosis, that’s a different story. But with a mild ptosis, you always want to wait and see if it heals.

Post blepharoplasty ptosis

Was the ptosis repaired during surgery?  What has your surgeon said about it?  Is it worse than it was preoperatively?  Does your eye close completely?  We need more information to answer this question appropriately.

Brian Biesman

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Wait!

I cannot determine from your question if you had the ptosis repaired.  Regardless, three weeks post op is not long enough to allow the swelling to resolve and to determine your eyelid position.  I don't think this pertains in your case, but I have seen ptosis that occurred after blepharoplasty resolve by itself in 2-3 months without surgical intervention.  You should wait at least 6 months before deciding how to proceed.

Mikel Lo, MD
Tucson Oculoplastic Surgeon

Residual ptosis after lid surgery

From your question I gathered that you are facing two scenarios. One, the surgeon attempted to correct the pre-existing ptosis and now you still have ptosis in which case you should ask your surgeon if an adjustment is called for and when. Two, the surgeon did not attempt to correct the ptosis then more than likely you will still have it.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis after blepharoplasty surgery

It can take up to two months for mild ptosis after blepharoplasty for it to resolve. That being said, you need to discuss with your surgeon whether the issue was addressed or not. If it was not addressed, then it might represent the same amount that was present prior to the surgical procedure. Also, it is not uncommon for one eye to have 1mm of difference from the other eye.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis after eyelid surgery

Because you do not state if the ptosis was repaired during your blepharoplasty, it is difficult to answer this question.  If the majority of your swelling has subsided, then you may be at what your end result is, but if you still have swelling, I would have your Plastic Surgeon re-evaluate you to determine when you would be ready for ptosis repair.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis After Surgery

It is hard to tell from your question if you had ptosis before and/or after the surgery.  So, I am not sure what you are asking.  Regardless, 3 weeks after surgery is way to early to consider any type of revision.  You need to wait at least 3 to six weeks for the tissues to heal and the swelling resolve before any other type of intervention.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD