3 Weeks Post BA Silicone Under: Left Breast is Perfect, Right is Shaped Like an Oval?

I am 3 weeks post Breast augmentation I got silicone under the muscle. My left breast is perfect my right one seems bigger but still fairly high and oval shaped compared to the left. The left is nice and round. Will my right breast strighten out? I am also right handed.

Uneven breasts

+1

It will probably correct itself with time, but often takes 3-6 months.

When one has asymmetry like this post-op, it is usually due to asymmetry pre-op. Often one breast crease is a little higher than the other to start with, and this will cause the implant on that side to sit higher. If the fold on one side is higher, and the breast hangs a bit, then it will have an oval shape, as you described.

Be patient, and if concerned, bring it up on your next post-op visit.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast augmentation is common early on

+1

Breast asmmetry after augmentation is fairly common during the early healing period (the first few weeks and months).  This is because most breasts are slightly different to begin with and also there is different rates of healing between the right and left.  When I hear someone describe one breast that is higher and more oval than the other, I think of a few possibilities.  This may be that the higher side is "dropping" slightly slower than the other. There may also be more swelling on that side. More rare reasons are fluid accumulation or hematoma but these usually result in more dramatic differences and are usually not very subtle.  Another thing that can happen is that if the pocket is made slightly smaller, the implant can be "sqeezed" a little abd this may give it a slightly oval shape.  Regardless, as long as it is not a larger fluid or blood collection that is causing this, the only thing to do is to wait and see how things settle out. It is possible that the difference may get less over time.  If this is the result of a pocket that is too small, it may require revision to make the pocket bigger and allow the implant to sit in a better position.  Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon to make sure there is nothing that needs to be done now.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Post op breast asymmetry

+1

The most common cause for asymmetry after breast augmentation is pre existing different shaped breasts. If that is not the situation,three weeks is often too soon to know your result. One side may have more swelling that will take a longer time to go away. It can often take a few months for the implants to " relax and drop". Sometimes this happens sooner on one side. You should talk to you Dr. about massage to enfluence the pocket. If the pocket is too narrow on one side and  it does not stretch with massage you might need a minor revision.

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Postoperative Breast Asymmetry

+1

It is very common for the breasts to recover at different rates with one side being more swollen than the other. One implant may take longer to drop or settle but most of theses situations eventually even out. The best approach is patience in allowing your body to accommodate its new shape and size.  Postoperative massage can sometimes help and the placement of an upper breast strap and sometimes manipulate and implant that appears to be too high.

Keep in close communication with your surgeon to see if there is any intervention that he/she might recommend. Otherwise be patient as many of these issues resolve themselves over time.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

More information needed

+1

The reason for the asymmetry can be due to swelling,uneven breast before surgery ,implant position and hematoma. Based the information that you provided it is hard to give the correct answer. Please send pictures and implant information.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breast shape after augmentation

+1

It may be too soon after three weeks and the breast is still likely to to give and conform to the breast implant on the right side. The oval shape could be caused by pocket, and massage may help the situation as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Swelling 3 weeks after breast augmentation

+1

It is normal to see swelling after breast augmentation.  The difference that you describe is most likely related to swelling and will resolve over the upcoming weeks. Please discuss massaging the breast with your surgeon as this may help to enhance the healing process.  Be patient and I am sure that you will be very happy with both sides.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast augmentation probably necessary.

+1

Hi.

Of course do nothing for six months and remain optimistic.  I have seen all kinds of unlikely good outcomes, but what you are describing does not sound good.

The goal is that the breasts look great (and symmetrical) right after surgery, in the recovery room.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)