4 Weeks P.O. TT/MR, Concerned About Pain Above Belly Button After Coughing Jag?

After my twins 2 yrs ago, I developed a 5" diastasis from sternum to pubic bone. I had a full TT/MR 4 weeks ago. After the surgery, I was told the seperation was actually worse. I still wear the binder everyday. Last night while eating I began coughing repeatedly which doubled me over in pain. Today the muscles are still sore mostly above the BB, some slight swelling (no bulging, bruising) and the area feels slightly more laxed and a lil squishy. Could I have strained a muscle, or tore a stitch?

4 Weeks after Tummy Tuck and Squishy Abdomen after Coughing

+1

This is difficult to evaluate without an exam.  If you had a severely lax abdominal wall prior to surgery, the repair should be examined by your plastic surgeon to determine that the repair is still intact.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Pain in muscles after coughing

+1

At 4 wks out things usually  have healed pretty well.  However, that being said, severe coughing could have led to suture disruption as well. Best to see your surgeon to be sure.

Pain Above Belly Button After Coughing

+1

Thank you for your question.  From what you describe, you need to call your PS and get in to see him as soon as possible so he can examine you.  Only he knows what type of diastasis repair was performed. He needs to examine you to help deterimine what is causing your symptoms.

Brian Joseph MD FACS

Brian Joseph, MD