3 Weeks PO TT & BL/BA - Can I Expect Significant Changes for the Better? (photo)

I am three weeks PO - I had a TT and BL/BA and am not happy with the overall result. I realize it is early in the game, however, my PS said he would have to do a revision due to the saggy skin around/near my large belly button. We had discussed the outcome prior to surgery & we'd both agreed not to do a vertical incision, which in his opinion would have resulted in a flat stomach. Do you think my swelling is gone & this is my final product? He wants to do the revision next month. Thank you!

3 Weeks PO TT. Can I Expect Significant Changes for the Better?

+2

No your swelling is not gone, and this is not your final product. However, as you and your surgeon have recognized, it is likely that you will need a revision operation to get you closer to an outcome you can both be pleased with. 

I see in the pre- and post-op photos a fair amount of horizontal excess. If your surgeon suggests a vertical incision the second time around, give it good consideration. 

Post- Operative Changes Take At Least Three Months

+2

It really does take at least three months for all of the post-operative changes to occur after a tummy-tuck, so just be patient.  However, I agree that you are still going to have loose skin around the belly button area, no mater how much time you give it.  I generally wait at least three months before any sort of revision.  That way, all of the swelling has gone down and you have a stable platform to work off in terms of surgical plan.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Is My Tummy Tuck Swelling Gone After 3 Weeks?

+2

The good news is that your swelling is definitely not gone and things will continue to improve, but I agree with your surgeon this will probably not improve to a point where you would be satisfied.  A surgeon who offers to do a touch up is a concerned and responsible surgeon.  Since you felt it necessary to come to us for a second opinion, then you probably will do well with getting a hands on second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. 

There are several ways to improve the appearance of your post op abdomen.  Two of our responders have suggested a lower body lift which would lead to a high lateral tension abdominoplasty which tightens your abdomen side to side (this is a great idea).  Another suggestion was a flur di les tummy tuck which will give you a midline scar (not my favorite idea).  Whichever touch up you decide on, I would also suggest considering lowering your existing scar which appears to me to be not a difficult fix; however, I have not had the advantage of a hands on evaluation. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Don't abandon ship

+2

I agree that it is too early to worry about further surgery right now. You still have some swelling and are in the inflammation stage of healing. It takes at least 3-6 months before the swelling disipates.  At that point, I would reasess the results.  You may need further surgery, but you may not.  I am confident that your surgeon will do his/her best to get you your desired result. Don't abandon ship just yet and try to be patient.  (Easier said than done, I know).

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Tummy Tuck

+2

Analysis of the pictures before and after, you had skin laxity in the horizantal and vertical direction. The better choice of surgery and will give a better contour is flur di les tummy tuck. Though that will give you a verical scar on the abdomen, but this will give you flatter stomach and better waist.

Excess skin after Mommy Makeover

+2

Many patients will not see their final results after abdominoplasty for many months after the procedure, be patient.  It still looks like you have a lot of swelling.  A light compression garment may help, but it is best to discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon first.  It can be difficult to obtain a flat tummy with a large amount of excess skin, without extending the incisions to the back (belt lipectomy).  

Jarrod Little, MD

Unhappy 3 weeks after Tummy Tuck

+2

It is too early too worry about further surgery. It takes a good three months before you get close the final result. On the other hand I am concerned that the folds leading away from your navel may not flatten completely. I would recommend calmly discussing your concerns with your surgeon and then follow his/her instructions. I am optimistic that your surgeon will want to continue to help you get you the results that will make you happy.

Ronald Schuster, MD

3 weeks post tummy tuck

+1

At 3 weeks postop, it is far too early to assess the final result.  I typically don't see the final contour from a tummy tuck until close to 6 months.   You will see the majority of your improvement in the first 3 months, at which point you can have an educated discussion with your plastic surgeon in regards to a revision procedure.   In the meantime, try to be patient, and carefully follow your surgeons postop instructions.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Concerns about Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, you can expect improvement as time goes on. You will continue to see resolution of swelling and skin “reach raping” to some degree for many months and even up to one year after surgery.  However, despite the  expected improvements it is very likely that you will wish to have additional surgery done to help improve the areas of concern you describe.

3 Weeks PO TT & BL/BA - Can I Expect Significant Changes for the Better?

+1

Still have swelling, it takes months for final result. But in my opinion I would have sepasrated the operations and had been more aggressive on the TT.