3 Weeks Ago, I Had Open Rhino and Lip Lift Together, Normal That the Columella is So Hard and Pain/pressure Comes and Goes?

Hi everybody, thank you for your help in advance, 3 weeks ago, I had open rhino and lip lift in one surgery. Since that day, my columella is very hard and numb. and since 2 weeks ago, at any time, my nose becomes stuffed up, my breathing is reduced, pressure builds up in the columella, and it hurts so much. The feeling I get is like somebody is pushing my nose inside my face. What would cause this and will this be resolved after time? or is this due by having done a lip lift with the rhino?

Post Operative Care After Rhinoplasty

+2

Having induration (hardness) in the nasal tip and/or lip if you had both a lip lift and a rhinoplasty is entirely normal. This may take weeks to months to resolve, but is all normal.

Columellar Lymphedema Caused By Concurrent Open Rhinoplasty And Lip Lift

+2

This is the result of temporary lymphedema caused by having both a mid- and low columellar incisions. The intervening skin has impeded lymphatic drainage and thus remains swollen and hard. It will eventually get better but it is going to take months for normal lymphatic outflow to be established.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

3 wks after rhinoplasty and lip lift

+2

It is quite common to have tightness and swelling after the lip lift and rhinoplasty. Give them time to settle down. Good luck.

Post-rhinoplasty expectations

+2

Hello 'lucthefrenchguy', thanks for your question.  A rhinoplasty procedure, especially with the open technique, can lead to significant changes not only of your nasal cartilaginous and bony framework, but also can alter the blood and lymphatic flow of the nose, which can in turn lead to irritation and swelling of the sinuses and surrounding soft tissue.  I am not sure the details of your surgery, but the more refinement and work that had to be done to your nose, the greater the chance of prolonged pain, swelling, and inflammation.  Hopefully you went to a board-certified plastic surgeon who explained in detail your postoperative expectations and recovery timeframe.  Three weeks postop is still very early and it is fairly normal and expected to still have columellar swelling/ firmness, numbness, and sinus pressure at this stage.  I tell  my patients that sometimes it takes a full year before all the symptoms go away.  That being said, if you have any fevers, redness, or purulent discharge, you may have an infection which should be addressed by your doctor right away.  Otherwise, it may just be normal postop swelling and I would recommend keeping an eye on it with your doctor and giving it some more time to resolve. Good luck! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty and Lip Lift and Hard Columella

+2

After open rhinoplasty and lip lift, there probably will be some hardness and impaired drainage depending upon where exactly the incisions were made.  I would always check with your surgeon to determine if anything else can be done or should be done.  I would do the closed rhinoplasty with the lip lift.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post op swelling can occur

+2

After a lip lift combined with an open rhinoplasty you may have more swelling in the columella than may have been expected by having just the nasal procedure. It is very important to work with your surgeon to make sure the healing process goes as smoothly as possible.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon