6 weeks OP from Lipo & Tummy Tuck & Hernia repair and there's still fuild build-up.

6 weeks OP from Lipo & Tummy Tuck & Hernia repair my tummy still has small about of fluid PS is saying no need to remove it that wearing a garment will get rid of it I am very uncomfortable. Is this true? Also looks like I still have loose skin when liquid goes away will I have loose skin?

Seroma

+1
A photo might be helpful here.

If there is clearly still fluid present, I would be inclined to aspirate it, or to place a drain if this has been done several times already. 

As to the question about lax skin, that is impossible to answer without photos.

Thanks for your question. All the best. 

Fluid after tummy tuck

+1
  • Fluid will not usually go away.
  • I have never seen a garment make fluid go away
  • I always draw off the fluid until it stops forming.
  • Your surgeon may not have much experience with seromas or may be finding the fluid are to track down.
  • Schedule an appointment and discuss with him and come up with a plan. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck

+1
I agree with Dr Seckel that the fluid should be drained until it stops whether by replacing a drain or serial aspirations. I would speak to my PS about that in a nonconfrontational manner. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Seroma fluid 6 weeks after tummy tuck

+1
If the fluid beneath your tummy skin is significant enough to produce a moving fluid wave when tapped there is likely a significant seroma collection.  A significant seroma should be drained and at 6 weeks if there is a significant amount of fluid I would consider inserting a drain.  However if there is only a small amount of fluid that you cannot feel or see in terms of swelling or you have no fluid wave thin small amounts of fluid will resorb.

The concern about large seromas 6 weeks after surgery is that  a seroma cavity can be formed which can produce a hard lump under the abdominal skin.

Please be certain to follow-up with your plastic surgeon and if a significant fluid wave is visible when the Dr. taps the fluid area and the Dr. refuses to remove the fluid and you should consult for a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1
Small amounts of fluid are absorbed by the body.  Usually less that an ounce a day is readily absorbed by the body.

A tummy tuck can be done as a solitary procedure. Many times the results are enhanced by adding liposuction to the hip and love handle area. A tummy tuck is also done in combination with a breast augmentation in a mommy makeover.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS