I'll Be 6 Weeks Nicotine Free for my Mommy Makeover Mid October is It Safe?

6 Weeks Nicotine and Tobacco Free Prior to Mommy Makeover

+2

Great job quitting smoking! I normally recommend 6-8 weeks weeks at a minimum prior to a mommy makeover. This would include nicotine and tobacco products. It is important as you heal that you do not smoke for 6-8 weeks after as well. Stay away from second hand smoke as well. Since you have stopped smoking keep up the good work forever! Wish you the best!

Nicotine Free Prior to Surgery

+1

Being Nicotine Free for 6 weeks is great.. the longer the better before AND after surgery will help in the healing process.

Some of patients use this as their excuse to stop smoking all together.

Nicotine free for mommy makeover

+1

Congratulations on quitting smoking!  Continue with smoking cessation before and after surgery for 6 weeks.  You should also avoid second-hand smoking; stay on healthy diet and exercise regime.  Best wishes on your upcoming surgery and recovery!

Sugene Kim, MD

Quit Smoking 6 weeks prior to Mommy Makeover

+1

Congratulations!!!  I am happy for your accomplishment.   It is imperative that you continue not to smoke through the recovery process, at least 6 weeks!!!  Think of this as an opportunity to kick the habit and receive a new you in return.   Make sure to take multivitamins and follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tobacco Free for a Mommy Makeover

+1

Congratulations on quitting smoking! Nicotine free for 6 weeks before and 6 weeks AFTER surgery are the goals. This means no second smoke or any nicotine products. The nicotine shrinks the blood vessels in your body. Since our main healing components are delivered to the surgical incisions by blood, any decrease to the blood flow can be detrimental to healing.  You've made it through the hard part of quitting. Now just keep up the good work of staying nicotine-free for the post-operative period...and for life! Good Luck!

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Nicotine cessation

+1

Minimum of 4 weeks of no nicotine exposure prior to that type of surgery is acceptable to reduce the incidence of wound healing problems compared with someone using nicotine.  Of course, avoiding nicotine ( in any form) during the postoperative healing process is also very important, good luck

Sean A. Simon, MD

Smoking and tummy tuck

+1

Excellent to have stopped smoking!

You have just reduced your chances of poor healing and other complications after a tummy tuck. It is reasonable to have surgery. 

A few reminders which your surgeon will probably give you as well:

• don't smoke after surgery.
  • avoid second hand smoke and all nicotine products
  • work on good breathing after surgery. I tell my patients to take 5 slow deep breaths and 5 little coughs every hour while awake for the first week.

Smoking is a huge health problem for women. If you start smoking after you heal - get someone to nag you relentlessly until you quit for ever. Your children will thank you.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Nicotine free before surgery

+1

Depending on what you are having done, the length of surgery and type of anesthesia, you should be ok, but remember that second hand smoke can be as deadly for your healing as smoking yourself...no nicotine patches or gum either.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

No Tobacco or Nicotine 6 weeks before Surgery

+1

By not smoking or using nicotine for 6 weeks, your risks of healing problems and lung problems are much lower. Just be sure to stay away from second hand smoke and not smoke after surgery. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tobacco free!

+1

Congrats on kicking the habit.   You've done the best that you can do to prepare yourself for your mommy makeover.  Remember to remain tobacco free after your procedure as well.   And keep in mind, being six weeks cigarette free does not completely erase your past smoking history.  Your healing potential may be a bit slower.   Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS