2 Weeks Since my Rhinoplasty is It Okay to Sleep on my Back with No Pillow?

Could it effect my nose or make it set thicker? or should I still sleep elevated? I had my tape off today and yesterday I did sleep on my back for the first time since 2 weeks but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't?

2 weeks since my rhinoplasty is it okay to sleep on my back with no pillow?

+1

In order to control post-operative swelling, it is best to sleep with your head above your heart. It is not that likely that sleeping on your back with no pillow will create more swelling, but it will not help the swelling that is present. When recovering from a rhinoplasty, you want to avoid the following:

1) Bending below the waist

2) Overexerting yourself

3) Lifting heavy objects

I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as they may have specific guidelines. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It would not matter if you were my patient, but you should check with your surgeon.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

Sleeping on your back as the nasal bones are healing and solidifying is always a good idea, but you should not be excessively fearful of rolling over in your sleep. A reasonable guideline is: if it  doesn't hurt, you're probably all right. Always consult with your surgeon (who did your surgery) with questions like this as they know your specific case best.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon