I Am 8 Weeks in my Tummy Tuck& Still Very Bloated is This Normal?

I am 8 weeks in my tummy tuck! At 6 wks my tummy was looking great. These past two weeks have been horrible . I have gotten very bloated & not feeling to hot . What may be going on?

Bloating after Tummy Tuck

+2

First of all, if you are not feeling well and have discomfort, you need to see your physician right away. With respect to the appearance of your abdomen, it is quite normal to have fluctuating swelling affecting the abdominal wall for months after abdominoplasty. I have seen swelling last for 6 months to 1 year. It is important to remain weight stable, and not gain weight after surgery to enhance results. Weight gains will negatively affect the contour. Avoid foods that cause bloating. Begin an exercise program once cleared by your physician. I would advise a visit with your plastic surgeon for reassurance and to assess your progress. 

I am 8 weeks in my tummy tuck & still very bloated, is this normal?

+1

To be bloated after the tummy tuck is normal.  People get the bloated feeling especially after eating.  It is a better idea to eat more frequent and smaller meals after the abdominoplasty.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following an abdominoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to develop swelling of the lower portion of the abdomen at 4 - 6 weeks post abdominoplasty.  Most of this is dependent edema and will improve over the next 6 weeks. It usually gets worse during the day and better in the morning.   Gentle massage will help.  

Healing takes 6 to 12 months

+1

After a TT the would must heal.  Swelling at 8 weeks is normal.  Wounds heal over 6 to 12 months.  Many have much swelling still at 8 weeks.  Watch your salt.  Do NOT gain weight.  Use you abdominal binder.  The little lymphatics that drain away body fluid take many months to heal and cannot be rushed.   My Best,  Dr c

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

You will want to have your plastic surgeon make sure there is not a seroma

+1

Thanks you for the question.  A seroma is an accumulation of healing fluid that will have to be drained by your plastic surgeon.  This may be the cause of your "bloating" but there are other potential sources including swelling and regular bloating that is associated with change in diet.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Bloating six weeks after tummy tuck

+1

Bloating may be due to diet, swelling or possible seroma formation.  If you note that the lower abdomen is flatter in the morning when you wake up and more swollen at night when you go to bed, it is probably just swelling and will get better over several months.  If it is swollen all the time and feels like a water bed, it is probably a seroma.  You should have your surgeon examine you and discuss your concerns.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Bloating After Tummy Tuck

+1

Eight weeks after abdominoplasty most people feel pretty good.  You can still experience sensations after surgery.  Discuss these concerns with your Plastic Surgeon for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

I'm still bloated after 8 weeks since tummy tuck!

+1

Dear Sockimari,

Thank you for your post.  This is normal to have swelling that waxes and wanes over 6 months and even up until a year in some cases.  Avoid salt, dairy, and other foods that can increase the bloating.  Some women like to wear a little support from a binder or other garment when being very active, even this fat out.  If you are not feeling well in general, then this may not be associated with just swelling and you may have another illness.  You may want to be checked by your primary care provider.  

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Some patients can feel bloated even eight weeks after abdominoplasty.

+1

Most patients by eight weeks feel pretty good after in abdominoplasty. Nevertheless the healing process is still going on patients can experience uncomfortable sensations. Keep in touch with your plastic surgeon.

+1

Hard to offer any suggestions without photos. Possibilities include 

1. swelling
  2. fluid collection
  3. presence of adipose tissue from before surgery
  4. breakdown of muscle tightening.
  5. constipation from pain meds.

You should be addressing this question to your surgeon, who can examine you and determine what course of action, if any, needs to be considered. All the best.