Surgeon Accidentally Cut Levator Muscle During Bleph Revision

Three weeks ago during bletharoplasty revision my plastic surgeon accidently cut my levator muscle. When my eyelid would not open the next day he stitched it up in his office. Since then my eyelid doesn't look normal, it's pulled and the eye is open so wide the full iris is apparent unlike the other eye and the lid doesn't close fully. Yesterday I went to an opthalamic surgeon and he said he could release the taught eyelid. My surgery is in 3 weeks. Have I waited long enough?

Levator problem

+2

You were right to see another surgeon for a second opinion. Intervening on a levator problem early may be the best thing for you.  Good luck.

Levator injury is relatively common.

+2

This is one situation where I think intervening as early as possible can be very helpful.  I would encourage your surgeon to operate immediately.  However, reasonable surgeons can disagree on this point.  The one thing I would advise you is that it is very likely that you will need more than one surgery to fix this problem.  You have taken the right step and seen an oculoplastic surgeon.  A highly experienced oculoplastic surgeon will be able to take the eyelid apart and determine what has been done and correctly reassemble the eyelid.  However, the ultimate goal is to control the shape, and position of the upper eyelid.  This requires finesse and that usually means future surgical refinement.  Please consider sharing your ultimate experience with the Realself community.

Eyelid retraction

+2

You have a tough problem.  There is probably extensive scar tissue by now in the eyelid.  The most important thing is to have an eyelid that closes probably to protect your eye.  Recommend consult with an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Please send pictures

+1
It is very unusual to cut the levator muscle and then over correct it with one stich in office. You need early intervention and please see more than one plastic surgeon

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Cut levator muscle during blepharoplasty.

+1

I would get another opinion from a very experienced ophthalmic surgeon since it is difficult to tell what is what so soon after your surgery.

I agree

+1

You have a difficult problem and should probably seek more than one opinion. The most important thing is to preserve your vision and make sure your cornea is protected by the lid.

Leland Deane, MD