Six Weeks after Liposuction and I Dont See Any Results, Normal?

I had both upper and lower abdomen and flanks done six weeks ago i have yet to see any results! I still have some numbness and lumps. Is thisNormal?

Liposuction Results

+2

In general you should see early results at 6 weeks.

There is however  significant variation in how fast people recover from liposuction. Many variables have to be considered such as amount of fat removed, have you used a elastic garment during this time?, weight gain or loss independent of the liposuction, amount of bruising associated with the surgery, constipation, etc. One thing that would be helpful  is to review your preoperative photos with your surgeon

No results seen 6 weeks after liposuction

+2

Six weeks is a little long to see no results after liposuction of the abdomen and flanks unless the amount to be removed was very small. Lumps at 6 weeks, however, is not unusual.

I would review this with your plastic surgeon and also review your pre-op photos. You may be surprised at the difference. Ask how much fat was removed from each area. If a substantial amount was removed, there has to be a difference. The final swelling takes a minimal of six months to be completely eliminated, but typically a major difference is visible after a few weeks.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results

+1

Numbness is normal at six weeks. Lumps should be improving. You should see some results. Here's how it goes:

1. Immediately - results are visible (End of surgery)
  2. Swelling conceals results days 1-5 (Inflammatory phase)
  3. Healing protein keeps you swollen - 5-6 weeks (Proliferative phase)
  4. At six weeks, swelling starts to subside. Feeling returns (Remodeling phase)
  5. Final result - about 6 months. 
  6. As swelling goes down, feeling returns

Consult your doctor to discuss your result. And look at your weight. In my practice the most common cause of a disappointing liposuction result is gaining weight after surgery. Best of luck!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

6 weeks after liposuction

+1

At 6 weeks post liposuction, there is still swelling and the final results may take several months.  Numbness usually improves over the first 6-8 weeks. As for lumps you should check with your doctor.

Liposuction results are not immediately noticeable.

+1

Liposuction results are not immediately noticeable. However by six to eight weeks there should be some very noticeable improvement even though the final result may be a month or two away.  Depending on the circumstances you may have either fibrosis of the tissue or possible seromas which are obscuring the changes.

In my Salt Lake City, Utah plastic surgery office I perform a high number of liposuction cases and it is normal to sometimes have delayed results due to the fibrosis or seromas, but I talk to my patients about these findings and often institute treatments to help them resolve so my patients know that I am taking a very active role in helping them get the results that they want.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

No results after liposuction

+1

I would love to see your before and after shots. I sometimes hear from patients that they did not see any results after the procedure and when we compare the pre and post procedure shots there is clearly a difference. granted in your case u might not see or appreciate a difference which means that u might require another procedure or a touch up procedure 

Misbah Khan, MD

No liposuction results after six weeks

+1

It would be nice to see pre and post op photos.  Many patients who make comments similar to yours are surprised when they see their preop photos and then recognize the changes.  For others, changes can be subtle and occur over time. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Six Weeks after Liposuction and I Dont See Any Results

+1

We normally see some obvious results in 1-2 weeks with continued improvement over the following few weeks. But to answer your specific question it would take pre and post op photos.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD