3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty, I Seem to Still Have Facial Swelling.

I notice because my folds/hollows around my nose are 'full' where as usually they are hollow looking (I usually get juvederm in there, and have not done so). I also notice because I am unable to smile fully yet. I have an extremely strange 'tight' looking smile at present. I was hoping all this would have resolved by now. I'm exactly 3 weeks post op. I still feel a lot of tightness when I smile too in my nasal area. When should all this resolve?

Facial Swelling 3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+2

The fullness and tightness of your face is secondary to normal, temporary swelling 3 weeks after rhinoplasty. This will all continue to improve for several months.

Swelling after rhinolasty

+2
Swelling after rhinoplasty is variable and depends on numerous factors including but not limited to the amount of dissection performed, the amount of bleedingthat occurred during the surgery, bone work, thickness of skin, and whether your procedure is a primary or revision rhinoplasty. Generally speaking primary rhinoplasty patients with thin skin have swelling and scar maturation that can last for 1 to 1.5 years, whereas thicker skinned and revision rhinoplasty patients may have scar maturation and fine changes in swelling lasting 2-3 years. Three weeks after surgery is extremely young after a rhinoplasty, and it is best not to overanalyze your appearance at this time.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

At three weeks after rhinoplasty, swelling of the nose and face is normal.  Swelling associated with rhinoplasty takes up to a year to totally resolve.  Over the course of a year, your nose will display mild changes as swelling resolves and the "shrink wrap effect" of scar tissue formation under the skin evolves.  At a year after surgery you will be able to fully assess the final conformation of your new nose.  Good Luck... Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Swelling after rhinoplasty is normal and will come and go. As long as it is minimal without any bruising it will go away. Also it tends to be worse in the am after waking up. I usually see my rhinoplasties a 6 weeks 6 months and a year. Reason being that it takes time to see the final result. Any bruising see your surgeon, otherwise give it time. 

Paul Albear, MD

+2

It does take over 6 months to heal from this procedure and during this time your nose will look somewhat different as swelling goes down. Best to wait for completion of healing process.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+2

Three weeks post-op from a rhinoplasty is still pretty early and residual swelling and tightness can be expected (i.e. normal).  The duration can be somewhat variable depending upon the surgical technique so be sure to follow up with your treating surgeon and ask him/her.  Best of luck for a great result...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Rhinoplasty recovery takes patience...

+2

I can certainly appreciate you wanting to be swelling free.  It does however take time to recover.  As I tell all my rhinoplasty patients, it takes two months for 80% of the swelling to go down.  The remaining 20% takes up to a year to resolve - mostly experienced as a firmness to the nasal tip.

At this point you're still recovering and as hard as it is, need to be patient.  The faster you get back into your regular daily routine (i.e. exercise, work, etc.) the quicker your swelling will come down.  The change to your smile will also improve as your swelling resolves.

In the meantime, try to be as active as you're comfortable with, and follow-up regularly with your surgeon so that they can alleviate your concerns and ensure you're recovering smoothly.

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swollen face 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

It's not at all unusual to have facial swelling and for the nose and surrounding area to feel tight and stiff, 3 weeks after a Rhinoplasty.  Ice to the area typically lessens the swelling that can last in the face for a month or so and in the nose for 6-12 months.

Post rhinoplasty swelling

+1

Post rhinoplasty swelling is different for each patient. The time to resolution is also different for each patient. You need more time>

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Some facial swelling is normal after 3 weeks from rhinoplasty. But really the person that would be able to answer you best is your surgeon.

David E. Kim, MD